Lawn Care Forum banner

Brian's Mega Build & Journal

42K views 199 replies 32 participants last post by  Grass Clippins 
#1 ·
Alright! Here we go...

I live on roughly 3 wooded acres in Marietta Ga with my wife and 7 week old son. I want a nice respectable lawn so a couple years ago I decided to take out a few pine and sweet gum trees to make way for the sunshine. I ended up taking out around 40 trees. I roped them, cut them down, limbed them and burn them all on my own. About a year ago I had someone do the stump grinding for me. Two water oaks and a hickory tree remain in this area.

Below is a picture taken before I started cutting (1/18/2019 Edit: The Phase 1 area is around 18,000 square feet, not 27,000)

See less See more
#8 ·
Greendoc said:
Good man. Either you have a lawn or else you live in a cottage in the middle of Sherwood Forest. Keep cutting!
Thank you. Cutting is done in Phase One brother, except that nasty looking dog wood by the telephone pole, that's bothering me. This summer the goal is to finish pulling up the roots with my box blade and prep for bringing in a lot of dirt. Once that's in place I may do irrigation, if I have time, and then throw her down this fall.

#9 ·
pennstater2005 said:
Is the area marked set to be all lawn?
yes, for the most part. I have not decide on what to plant though. Which is one of the reasons why I'm here. I like the idea of tall fescue, but realize that it may not be realistic in this climate. I'm beginning to lean towards bermuda and a winter overseed to keep the green.

#11 ·
Grass Clippins said:
pennstater2005 said:
yes, for the most part. I have not decide on what to plant though. Which is one of the reasons why I'm here. I like the idea of tall fescue, but realize that it may not be realistic in this climate. I'm beginning to lean towards bermuda and a winter overseed to keep the green.
That's a big lawn! Are you grinding all the stumps down? Bermuda would be nice as it spreads aggressively and lots of members here have beautiful bermuda lawns. I imagine TTTF would be tough down there but I know @social port grows it in Tennessee and it's beautiful.

#12 ·
pennstater2005 said:
Grass Clippins said:
pennstater2005 said:
That's a big lawn! Are you grinding all the stumps down? Bermuda would be nice as it spreads aggressively and lots of members here have beautiful bermuda lawns. I imagine TTTF would be tough down there but I know @social port grows it in Tennessee and it's beautiful.
Yes, I had the stump ground last fall. In all it was around 60 stumps, I snuck down a few in the back as well. They did a pretty good job grinding but some of these trees were massive, for the area. Sweet gum tree roots are girthy and will run forever. The only way to get them up is wait for the rain to soften the ground and pull them up with the tractor. I have since forked up most of the wood chips and am now working on the rocks...and roots.

#14 ·
First of all, that is a nice property and house that you have there.

I think that a warm season grass makes all the sense in the world. That is the reasonable thing. But...if you are getting rid of all of those trees, I'd spend so many nights dreaming about running ridiculously long passes on a mower--from your house, all the way down to the street with no obstacles--and in the process leaving stripes on fescue grass so pronounced that they would show up on a satellite. Long, straight passes on cool season turf = :D and Bliss.

If you have financial comfort, are willing to invest in fungicides (and apply them), can install irrigation, and are willing to tolerate an experiment for a year or two, I'd try my luck with fescue.
If it's a flop, a bermuda lawn can look exquisite. I've been tempted in that direction after seeing so many nice looking bermuda lawns on this forum. But once you go bermuda, you're going to have a hard time going back if you wanted to. Not so with fescue. It will die when you ask.
FWIW

#16 ·
I am a Bermuda guy and you have done alot of work.
What type of trees do you have left?
I can also see bermuda struggling in the areas around the trees you have remaining ( especially when they get older). You have done a great Job !! But You might do better with zoysia or St Aug if your wanting to keep a more uniform lawn in the shaded areas. Remember Bermuda Does Not Like Any Shade. and growing bermuda around trees, even if its just a few, will not be successful in the long run. When you look at these awesome Bermuda lawns on this forum you notice one thing in common No Trees. Whatever decision you make will be awsome because you have the time and dedication.
On a side note if you get bermuda with that size yard and possible expansion your gonna need a Triplex reel mower if your gonna cut it low.

#18 ·
social port said:

I think that a warm season grass makes all the sense in the world. That is the reasonable thing. But...if you are getting rid of all of those trees, I'd spend so many nights dreaming about running ridiculously long passes on a mower--from your house, all the way down to the street with no obstacles--and in the process leaving stripes on fescue grass so pronounced that they would show up on a satellite. Long, straight passes on cool season turf = :D and Bliss.

If you have financial comfort, are willing to invest in fungicides (and apply them), can install irrigation, and are willing to tolerate an experiment for a year or two, I'd try my luck with fescue.
If it's a flop, a bermuda lawn can look exquisite. I've been tempted in that direction after seeing so many nice looking bermuda lawns on this forum. But once you go bermuda, you're going to have a hard time going back if you wanted to. Not so with fescue. It will die when you ask.
FWIW
I hear you, I'd have stripes for days...

#19 ·
Tellycoleman said:
I am a Bermuda guy and you have done alot of work.
What type of trees do you have left?
I can also see bermuda struggling in the areas around the trees you have remaining ( especially when they get older). You have done a great Job !! But You might do better with zoysia or St Aug if your wanting to keep a more uniform lawn in the shaded areas. Remember Bermuda Does Not Like Any Shade. and growing bermuda around trees, even if its just a few, will not be successful in the long run. When you look at these awesome Bermuda lawns on this forum you notice one thing in common No Trees. Whatever decision you make will be awsome because you have the time and dedication.
On a side note if you get bermuda with that size yard and possible expansion your gonna need a Triplex reel mower if your gonna cut it low.
Good suggestion. I'll correct a previous comment, I have One Hickory and two Water Oaks in the Phase One area. There is another big Hickory, but it's near the property line and cast it's shadow toward my neighbor. Those three trees should take off now that they don't have any competition. They are going to put out a lot of shade in the coming years but the house is East to West facing so hopefully entire yard should get some sun throughout the day. With that being said fescue would probably do better in the long run.

#21 ·
Thanks @social port, and for notifying me of this post. I do live in the same area.

If you're waiting until this fall to do fescue, you can use me as a guinea pig reference. I just renovated my front yard last fall, and this will be the first summer for the lawn.

You're house and property look awesome. Excited to see your progress and what you choose.

#22 ·
social port said:
Actually, now that I am connecting dots, I believe that you and @FlyMike live in the same area. He grows fescue, and it looks awesome.
Better yet the new Dwarf Tall fescue i have been hearing about on the Youtube.
DO you plan to sod or seed? That is an important factor as well.
Your not to far south to have a cool season but you might struggle during the hot Atlanta Summer. Not sure how difficult it will be to find a sod farm in your area that has cool season turf . you may have to reach out to Chattanooga Tn
Sod for 30K sqft is gonna be a huge money investment and i wouldn't even touch such a project without an irrigation system. Seeding will be alot easier on your wallet but require alot more time and care to establish. ( I know personally)
Either way sprinklers are your next investment because both seed and/or sod will require that.

But What to do now while you decide on which way to go?
I might suggest a perennial rye grass. Its cheap and easy to kill once you make a decision and looks very good. It will also give you practice. lol
DO NOT PRACTICE WITH CHEAP BERMUDA SEED! You will never be able to kill it

#23 ·
FlyMike said:
Thanks @social port, and for notifying me of this post. I do live in the same area.

If you're waiting until this fall to do fescue, you can use me as a guinea pig reference. I just renovated my front yard last fall, and this will be the first summer for the lawn.

You're house and property look awesome. Excited to see your progress and what you choose.
Thanks Mike. I checked out you're journal, good looking lawn. I should have the tractor back up and running by the weekend and will have some progress pics to post soon.

#24 ·
Tellycoleman said:
social port said:
Actually, now that I am connecting dots, I believe that you and @FlyMike live in the same area. He grows fescue, and it looks awesome.
Better yet the new Dwarf Tall fescue i have been hearing about on the Youtube.
DO you plan to sod or seed? That is an important factor as well.
Your not to far south to have a cool season but you might struggle during the hot Atlanta Summer. Not sure how difficult it will be to find a sod farm in your area that has cool season turf . you may have to reach out to Chattanooga Tn
Sod for 30K sqft is gonna be a huge money investment and i wouldn't even touch such a project without an irrigation system. Seeding will be alot easier on your wallet but require alot more time and care to establish. ( I know personally)
Either way sprinklers are your next investment because both seed and/or sod will require that.

But What to do now while you decide on which way to go?
I might suggest a perennial rye grass. Its cheap and easy to kill once you make a decision and looks very good. It will also give you practice. lol
DO NOT PRACTICE WITH CHEAP BERMUDA SEED! You will never be able to kill it
Dwarf Tall Fescue - I'll have to research that, sounds interesting. I was actually looking at Seashore Paspalum Platinum TE, because that's what they used in the new Braves Stadium, then I found out how much it cost. The place they get it from is in Alabama. I called and the lady told me that if they did sell it to the public it would go for around $3 a square foot. They claim that's the grass of the future, but I doubt it does well in shade.

I'll definitely be throwing down seed. I've been following this Fescue Academy and have a pretty good idea of how to give it a fighting chance during July & August, I guess that's when you find out what your'e made of. Thankfully, I've already laid the groundwork for irrigation. Couple years ago I dug a trench and buried 4" PVC along the length of the driveway to the street for a gutter runoff, that was a big project. While I was there, i put in a couple sprinkler heads and tied an manifold into the mainline. I still have a lot to do but at least that's done.

#25 ·
social port said:

FWIW
Check out my 9 am sun trajectory. Once that morning sun makes direct contact with those dewy stripes... forget about it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.