Reel Mower - "6.5HP Champion Power Equipment" Mower?

Mowers, blowers & other important tools of the trade
Topic Author
ADanto6840
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: TifTuf Bermuda
Lawn Size: 2100sqft
Mower: Allett Liberty 43

Reel Mower - "6.5HP Champion Power Equipment" Mower?

Post by ADanto6840 »

Anyone know what this is? Is it a re-branded McLane with a different engine? I've searched extensively, both here & Google, and not been able to make heads/tails of what exactly this is -- or really even find any info about it. It's available for sale locally, the seller has it listed for $175, and the seller also has a 7-blade McLane listed for the same price.

I'm interested in both really, though quite curious if anyone can provide any info/guidance on what this 'Champion' machine is. See pics below:

"6.5 Hp Champion Lawn Mower"

Spammage
Grass Type: Zoysia/Bermuda
Lawn Size: 6000 + 4000 non-irri
Mower: McLane 25" Greenskeeper

Re: Reel Mower - "6.5HP Champion Power Equipment" Mower?

Post by Spammage »

@ADanto6840 it's a McClane with a Champion brand engine installed.

Topic Author
ADanto6840
TLF Supporter

Post by ADanto6840 »

Thank you!!!

How does it look? If it runs, is it worth $175? Looks like it has a roller on it, though not the 'standard' McLane roller (or at least not the one I usually see); seems like the roller alone runs ~$150 new (and while I could DIY, I don't have a welder).

The other reel mower the same seller has listed -- it's a 7-blade McLane, also for $175 -- it does not have a roller on it. I suppose I should post pics of it, too, and see if anyone can spot any reasons I should/shouldn't pick up one of the two. =D.

Will post pics of the McLane he has listed momentarily. =D

Topic Author
ADanto6840
TLF Supporter

Post by ADanto6840 »

Used McLane 7-Blade

Any thoughts or obvious issues? There are a few other similar McLanes for sale locally but they're all priced well over $300; there aren't any of the "higher-end" (ie the seemingly more-preferred -- JD, Toro, etc) models for sale right now locally, unfortunately.

Bmossin
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Celebration, Yukon, P77
Lawn Size: 5,000
Mower: Deere 180C Mclane GM1000

Post by Bmossin »

See how they run.....interesting roller set up. If it works, great. I have had success with Champion branded engines.

Topic Author
ADanto6840
TLF Supporter

Post by ADanto6840 »

Will do. Going to go check them out tomorrow. If all else is equal, leaning towards the Champion even if it's just because it has the roller already. Hopefully they both sound good.

Dumb question, but I'm all electric here -- haven't even been to a gas station in a while, lol.

They both take standard gas, right? Premium or lowest grade is OK? Ethanol-blend is OK or do I need to find non-E gas?

Bmossin
TLF Supporter

Post by Bmossin »

I’ve used regular, but am now doing premium non ethanol gas.

Topic Author
ADanto6840
TLF Supporter

Post by ADanto6840 »

To go test it, regular gas is OK? Or bring Premium? Likely not going to have time to run to a non-ethanol gas station....

Bmossin
TLF Supporter

Post by Bmossin »

Regular should be fine, but if you get either one, i would start running the non ethanol stuff.

Topic Author
ADanto6840
TLF Supporter

Post by ADanto6840 »

Thank you - very much appreciate the assistance!! Am going to look at them today, fingers crossed. =D

Topic Author
ADanto6840
TLF Supporter

Post by ADanto6840 »

I bought the Champion engine'd McLane. It came w/ custom-made roller, which is extremely well-done, apparently the original owner was a "tinkerer" and did a lot of this kind of stuff. Machine is in very good shape visually, bed-knife looks great, reel looks good.

Neither started easily but a small-engine mechanic happened to be nearby, was able to get them to both turn over. The B&S one actually ran for a few minutes, while the Champion one turned over and puffed some smoke but didn't stay running. Mechanic thought it was probably the carb.

I've cleaned the carb today, first time ever doing anything with a small engine, and was pretty straight-forward. Thought after re-assembly, it turns over & *almost* starts but not quite & I've got some gas leaking from the bottom of the carb. I have a new carb & spark plug coming tomorrow (for a whopping $16 via Amazon, heh), so am hopeful that it's just gaskets/similar. It *nearly* starts as-is, but going to put it down for tonight & hopefully can just slide the new carb & gaskets on and start 'er up. Worst case, I'm out $150, and I figure the nice & newer-style chassis + roller + grass catcher = can get my money out of it if worse comes to worst. =D

I'm hopeful, at least. And luckily I have a few more weeks before I can really cut reel low; for now am sticking with the Ryobi rotary as the sod grows in, but am looking forward to being able to achieve a lower HOC & more plush 'carpet' longer term. =D