Green's Lawn Journal

Cool season member lawn journals
Chris LI
Posts: 607
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:04 am
Location: Long Island, NY
Grass Type: KBG,TTTF, FF-different mixes
Lawn Size: 5K
Mower: Snapper Hi Vac 21"

Re: Green's Lawn Journal

Post by Chris LI » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:28 pm

I jumped over to your journal to see what's going on, after replying to your comments in mine. I see you did get the Milo down. Things should perk up for you soon. The tarp damage doesn't look too bad, just some leaf tip burn. Hopefully, with the Milo, water and a mow or two, it will grow out.

Green
Posts: 3434
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:27 am
Location: CT (Zone 6B)
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF
Lawn Size: 15K
Mower: Toro 22", MTD 21", Fiskars 18"

Re: Green's Lawn Journal

Post by Green » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:40 pm

Chris LI wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:28 pm
I jumped over to your journal to see what's going on, after replying to your comments in mine. I see you did get the Milo down. Things should perk up for you soon. The tarp damage doesn't look too bad, just some leaf tip burn. Hopefully, with the Milo, water and a mow or two, it will grow out.
Yeah, I got it put down in the front, but not in the back yet (where most of the damage was).
Front: Northern mix - mostly TTTF, KBG, TTPR. Back: Firecracker and Bullseye TTTF with America, Rugby 2, Bewitched KBG. Upper Side: Mostly TTPR, KBG. Lower Side: similar to front. Low-input: TF/FF, KBG, PR. Always seeding somewhere or fighting Triv.

Green
Posts: 3434
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:27 am
Location: CT (Zone 6B)
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF
Lawn Size: 15K
Mower: Toro 22", MTD 21", Fiskars 18"

Re: Green's Lawn Journal

Post by Green » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:51 pm

Today, I mowed the front hill, main front, side, and started mowing the low-input area. I noticed that the front sections were on the verge of overgrown after 5 days since last mow, so the growth rate is picking up again. I'm still at 4 in HOC. I haven't been able to reduce it yet due to taking too much off. I also noticed that the blade on the Toro is in need of sharpening...it's not mulching as well anymore and I'm not getting clean cuts. I never sharpened it since I got the mower, so I guess it's time. It didn't seem dull the way some blades are when new, but it didn't have the type of edge that looked like it would last too long before dulling, either.

I also put down the Milorganite with micros on the side and main front after mowing. I applied it after it started getting dark. Amounts:
-Side: 10 lbs 6-2-0, 2.5Fe Milo with ~4.5 tbsp. Boron and Zinc - up and down only, not side-to-side
-Front: 17 lbs 6-2-0 4Fe milo with ~7.5 tbsp. Boron and Zinc - mostly parallel to driveway, except for some passes between street and Hickory tree, and between the side and the front walk.
Spreader: Eathway at 9.5. Maybe try slightly lower setting next time to get more passes.

This is roughly 0.4 lb N rate.

Set zones 1 and 2 to water for 90 and 120 min tomorrow morning (~0.75 inch). Will need to supplement with Orbit sprinkler near house. Also need to water hellstrip areas tomorrow. Would like to start getting seed down, too.
Last edited by Green on Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Front: Northern mix - mostly TTTF, KBG, TTPR. Back: Firecracker and Bullseye TTTF with America, Rugby 2, Bewitched KBG. Upper Side: Mostly TTPR, KBG. Lower Side: similar to front. Low-input: TF/FF, KBG, PR. Always seeding somewhere or fighting Triv.

Green
Posts: 3434
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:27 am
Location: CT (Zone 6B)
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF
Lawn Size: 15K
Mower: Toro 22", MTD 21", Fiskars 18"

Re: Green's Lawn Journal

Post by Green » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:25 pm

Finished mowing today. Took the near flat part of the side front down to 3.75 in.

Put down Milorganite on the back. 6-2-0, 4% Fe Milo.
Upper back: 7 lbs Milo with 3 tbsp of Boron.
Lower back: 8 lbs Milo with 3.5 tbsp of Boron.

Mowed and trimmed grandfather's lawn (1). Did not mow over the totally brown parts. No reason to damage the dormant lawn with the weight of the tractor. The amount of horse weed growing in the hardscape was crazy, and it was 3-4 feet high and starting to flower. Cut them all down with the trimmer. I hope there were no seeds yet. Planning to get some KY-31 seed for the corners near the road there, because the Fescue/HBG mix I planted last year has mostly died out this Summer.
Last edited by Green on Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Front: Northern mix - mostly TTTF, KBG, TTPR. Back: Firecracker and Bullseye TTTF with America, Rugby 2, Bewitched KBG. Upper Side: Mostly TTPR, KBG. Lower Side: similar to front. Low-input: TF/FF, KBG, PR. Always seeding somewhere or fighting Triv.

Green
Posts: 3434
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:27 am
Location: CT (Zone 6B)
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF
Lawn Size: 15K
Mower: Toro 22", MTD 21", Fiskars 18"

Re: Green's Lawn Journal

Post by Green » Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:46 pm

Watered hellstrip areas.

Did final Certainty applications on the experimental area in the front, and the upper side, avoiding the new grass as much as possible. I used 0.02g on the front, and about 0.05g on the side. The excess got used to spot spray (a 4th app of sorts) in the low-input area and blanket spray the flood prone area grass (for whatever it's worth).

Also did my final Velocity application on the front (main front minus new grass areas) and the little strip on the side front. Used as close to the standard 3oz rate as I could get. Used the excess (I made too much) to do the second app on the lower side. I am not looking forward to the grass turning brown again, as it had mostly recovered since the previous app.

Spot sprayed a large crabgrass plant in the new grass area on the side, with Tenacity using a hand spray bottle.

Set irrigation zones to water tomorrow morning for a half inch or so on the two back zones and the side front. Not sure if we're going to get any rain tomorrow, so I just set them for a half inch instead of 3/4.

Did not get to do the biofungicide yet. Also need to blanket spray Tenacity on a section in the low-input area where there's Nimblewill. And I need to kill the invasive Bittersweet vines.
Front: Northern mix - mostly TTTF, KBG, TTPR. Back: Firecracker and Bullseye TTTF with America, Rugby 2, Bewitched KBG. Upper Side: Mostly TTPR, KBG. Lower Side: similar to front. Low-input: TF/FF, KBG, PR. Always seeding somewhere or fighting Triv.

Green
Posts: 3434
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:27 am
Location: CT (Zone 6B)
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF
Lawn Size: 15K
Mower: Toro 22", MTD 21", Fiskars 18"

Re: Green's Lawn Journal

Post by Green » Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:52 pm

Got about 1/3-inch of rain last night. Combined with the sprinklers running this morning, the areas that needed water are good now.

Took out some Hen of the Woods mushroom clumps in the front, and an annual ryegrass clump in the side, destroying two areas of the new grass. I fixed them as best I could and marked with flags so I know where to water.

Finally sprayed Serenade Biofungicide today, mixed with Nu-Film 17. Sprayed all main lawn areas except the walkway grass (so I didn't stain the walkways). Sprayed the closest 2/3 or so of the low-input area. I used the full rate. Hopefully whatever disease is there is halted by this and the Milo app.

I see what I believe are stressed Poa Triv areas despite the heat and herbicides, like they're hiding out the heat because I mow high and the good grass shields them. @tgreen, this Triv appears to have a very short ligule (like KBG) this time of year. Ever noticed that? I think these are turf types, as well...they're super fine in texture. I don't know what else they could be other than Triv. I will spot spray them with Velocity at some point in the future, and see if they die. I sprayed some others, in the low-input area, with a high rate of Certainty, and they seem to be browning more. Has to be Triv. Almost looks like a fine-textured light green Ryegrass, or even Fine Fescue, but it can't be. I see stems that look like stolons when I pull some out.

Next few days:
-kill invasive vines
-spray Tenacity on area with Nimblewill in the low-input area
-spray Mosquito barrier (once there's no more rain in the forecast)

9:15PM: started raining. Let's see if we get much.
Last edited by Green on Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Front: Northern mix - mostly TTTF, KBG, TTPR. Back: Firecracker and Bullseye TTTF with America, Rugby 2, Bewitched KBG. Upper Side: Mostly TTPR, KBG. Lower Side: similar to front. Low-input: TF/FF, KBG, PR. Always seeding somewhere or fighting Triv.

Green
Posts: 3434
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:27 am
Location: CT (Zone 6B)
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF
Lawn Size: 15K
Mower: Toro 22", MTD 21", Fiskars 18"

Re: Green's Lawn Journal

Post by Green » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:53 pm

Put down roughly 10 lbs of Epsom salt on the non-flood-prone ~5.5K of the low-input area really quick before it started raining. Went mostly parallel to the length, with a bit of extra diagonal passes in the middle areas. Was trying to beat the thunder and lightening and rain. Probably won't be much rain. Last night wasn't really measurable. Got something down, at least.
Front: Northern mix - mostly TTTF, KBG, TTPR. Back: Firecracker and Bullseye TTTF with America, Rugby 2, Bewitched KBG. Upper Side: Mostly TTPR, KBG. Lower Side: similar to front. Low-input: TF/FF, KBG, PR. Always seeding somewhere or fighting Triv.

tgreen
Posts: 383
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:26 am
Location: transition zone
Grass Type: tf and kbg
Lawn Size: 20k
Mower: 48 turf tracer

Re: Green's Lawn Journal

Post by tgreen » Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:39 pm

Green wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:52 pm
@tgreen, this Triv appears to have a very short ligule (like KBG) this time of year. Ever noticed that?
Yes, I did a youtube video on the ligule but it was still early in the season and the plant was still large so the ligule was relatively easy to see. Once the heat hits and the triv starts to lay-out and the stolons get going then it is nearly impossible for me to see the ligule. I spot the triv at this time of year mostly 1) by its light color and 2) the ease with which it pulls off the soil. There is one other way I ID questionable triv vs KBG at the time of year but it's difficult to explain. I'll try to pull some and post a picture over next few days.

Chris LI
Posts: 607
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:04 am
Location: Long Island, NY
Grass Type: KBG,TTTF, FF-different mixes
Lawn Size: 5K
Mower: Snapper Hi Vac 21"

Re: Green's Lawn Journal

Post by Chris LI » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:38 pm

Green wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:53 pm
Put down roughly 10 lbs of Epsom salt on the non-flood-prone ~5.5K of the low-input area really quick before it started raining. Went mostly parallel to the length, with a bit of extra diagonal passes in the middle areas. Was trying to beat the thunder and lightening and rain. Probably won't be much rain. Last night wasn't really measurable. Got something down, at least.
Did you get the "appropriate" amount of rain? Check my journal, lol!

Chris LI
Posts: 607
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:04 am
Location: Long Island, NY
Grass Type: KBG,TTTF, FF-different mixes
Lawn Size: 5K
Mower: Snapper Hi Vac 21"

Re: Green's Lawn Journal

Post by Chris LI » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:49 pm

tgreen wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:39 pm
Green wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:52 pm
@tgreen, this Triv appears to have a very short ligule (like KBG) this time of year. Ever noticed that?
Yes, I did a youtube video on the ligule but it was still early in the season and the plant was still large so the ligule was relatively easy to see. Once the heat hits and the triv starts to lay-out and the stolons get going then it is nearly impossible for me to see the ligule. I spot the triv at this time of year mostly 1) by its light color and 2) the ease with which it pulls off the soil. There is one other way I ID questionable triv vs KBG at the time of year but it's difficult to explain. I'll try to pull some and post a picture over next few days.
Your video was very helpful with ID for me. Thank you. From my understanding, repeated shots of glyphosate in the spring when it's actively growing is the best tactic in the triv battle, but is there anything effective we can do this time of year? Before I knew what it was, I ripped out a 3'x3' patch almost exactly a year ago and reseeded, which seemed to help. It doesn't appear to have been invaded again, yet.

Green
Posts: 3434
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:27 am
Location: CT (Zone 6B)
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF
Lawn Size: 15K
Mower: Toro 22", MTD 21", Fiskars 18"

Re: Green's Lawn Journal

Post by Green » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:16 pm

tgreen wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:39 pm
There is one other way I ID questionable triv vs KBG at the time of year but it's difficult to explain. I'll try to pull some and post a picture over next few days.
Is that the "string test" by chance? Because I use that all the time.
Front: Northern mix - mostly TTTF, KBG, TTPR. Back: Firecracker and Bullseye TTTF with America, Rugby 2, Bewitched KBG. Upper Side: Mostly TTPR, KBG. Lower Side: similar to front. Low-input: TF/FF, KBG, PR. Always seeding somewhere or fighting Triv.

Green
Posts: 3434
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:27 am
Location: CT (Zone 6B)
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF
Lawn Size: 15K
Mower: Toro 22", MTD 21", Fiskars 18"

Re: Green's Lawn Journal

Post by Green » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:22 pm

tgreen wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:39 pm
Yes, I did a youtube video on the ligule but it was still early in the season and the plant was still large so the ligule was relatively easy to see. Once the heat hits and the triv starts to lay-out and the stolons get going then it is nearly impossible for me to see the ligule. I spot the triv at this time of year mostly 1) by its light color and 2) the ease with which it pulls off the soil. There is one other way I ID questionable triv vs KBG at the time of year but it's difficult to explain. I'll try to pull some and post a picture over next few days.
Ok, so it's not just me, then. Also, there is a guy from CT on the other site struggling with IDs right now in a current thread there. He got an expert ID saying "Red Fescue", but I think that was wrong. He said there were no intact blade tips on the sample he sent them. I think I gave him some decent advice. He has tons of photos posted. It's either Triv or KBG.

That's really interesting that the ligule disappears this time of year. I have shriveled, weak grass that has been hit by Velocity 3x including the other day for the third time, exposed to lots of temps over 90, etc. Pretty sure it's Triv. But it doesn't have a noticeable ligule.

The only constant with Triv seems to be the "string test". Annua passes it, too, though.

Have you ever found Velocity-resistant Triv that won't die/go brown even with spot sprays?
Last edited by Green on Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Front: Northern mix - mostly TTTF, KBG, TTPR. Back: Firecracker and Bullseye TTTF with America, Rugby 2, Bewitched KBG. Upper Side: Mostly TTPR, KBG. Lower Side: similar to front. Low-input: TF/FF, KBG, PR. Always seeding somewhere or fighting Triv.

Green
Posts: 3434
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:27 am
Location: CT (Zone 6B)
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF
Lawn Size: 15K
Mower: Toro 22", MTD 21", Fiskars 18"

Re: Green's Lawn Journal

Post by Green » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:31 pm

Chris LI wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:38 pm
Green wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:53 pm
Put down roughly 10 lbs of Epsom salt on the non-flood-prone ~5.5K of the low-input area really quick before it started raining. Went mostly parallel to the length, with a bit of extra diagonal passes in the middle areas. Was trying to beat the thunder and lightening and rain. Probably won't be much rain. Last night wasn't really measurable. Got something down, at least.
Did you get the "appropriate" amount of rain? Check my journal, lol!
No. It looks like under 0.2 inch counting both today's and last night's rain. So 0.1 inch today so far (I think we're done now, but we'll see) at most.

Very glad I sprayed the biofungicide with duration extender yesterday.
Front: Northern mix - mostly TTTF, KBG, TTPR. Back: Firecracker and Bullseye TTTF with America, Rugby 2, Bewitched KBG. Upper Side: Mostly TTPR, KBG. Lower Side: similar to front. Low-input: TF/FF, KBG, PR. Always seeding somewhere or fighting Triv.

Chris LI
Posts: 607
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:04 am
Location: Long Island, NY
Grass Type: KBG,TTTF, FF-different mixes
Lawn Size: 5K
Mower: Snapper Hi Vac 21"

Re: Green's Lawn Journal

Post by Chris LI » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:41 pm

Good call. This week may be a roller coaster for fungus.

tgreen
Posts: 383
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:26 am
Location: transition zone
Grass Type: tf and kbg
Lawn Size: 20k
Mower: 48 turf tracer

Re: Green's Lawn Journal

Post by tgreen » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:42 pm

Green wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:22 pm
tgreen wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:39 pm
Yes, I did a youtube video on the ligule but it was still early in the season and the plant was still large so the ligule was relatively easy to see. Once the heat hits and the triv starts to lay-out and the stolons get going then it is nearly impossible for me to see the ligule. I spot the triv at this time of year mostly 1) by its light color and 2) the ease with which it pulls off the soil. There is one other way I ID questionable triv vs KBG at the time of year but it's difficult to explain. I'll try to pull some and post a picture over next few days.
Ok, so it's not just me, then. Also, there is a guy from CT on the other site struggling with IDs right now in a current thread there. He got an expert ID saying "Red Fescue", but I think that was wrong. He said there were no intact blade tips on the sample he sent them. I think I gave him some decent advice. He has tons of photos posted. It's either Triv or KBG.

That's really interesting that the ligule disappears this time of year. I have shriveled, weak grass that has been hit by Velocity 3x including the other day for the third time, exposed to lots of temps over 90, etc. Pretty sure it's Triv. But it doesn't have a noticeable ligule.

The only constant with Triv seems to be the "string test". Annua passes it, too, though.

Have you ever found Velocity-resistant Triv that won't die/go brown even with spot sprays?
Ok, I'll try to find the post and take a look at the red fescue post.

Not sure exactly what is the string test? My experience is the ligule size is proportionate to the size of the plant. When the plant is big in the spring and early summer, I find the ligule is easy to see. As the plant spreads and stolonizes (not a real word) then the ligule ID doesn't work. It's too small. It's not so much that it disappears but rather the plant and blades are too small to easily see it.

The observation I referred to is the space between the blade and the plant stem where the ligule is located is close and tight on poa triv whereas it's separate and open on kbg. Like I said, hard to explain in words so will try to post some pics.

As far as the velocity, I don't know that poa t is 'resistant' but there seem to be so many factors on how thorough the kill is, e.g., temperatures, rates, time of year, luck?, etc. If you told me you are spot spraying velocity on triv multiple times with no effect then I would say it's not triv. One app is not enough so I would believe that.

tgreen
Posts: 383
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:26 am
Location: transition zone
Grass Type: tf and kbg
Lawn Size: 20k
Mower: 48 turf tracer

Re: Green's Lawn Journal

Post by tgreen » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:52 pm

Chris LI wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:49 pm
tgreen wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:39 pm
Green wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:52 pm
@tgreen, this Triv appears to have a very short ligule (like KBG) this time of year. Ever noticed that?
Yes, I did a youtube video on the ligule but it was still early in the season and the plant was still large so the ligule was relatively easy to see. Once the heat hits and the triv starts to lay-out and the stolons get going then it is nearly impossible for me to see the ligule. I spot the triv at this time of year mostly 1) by its light color and 2) the ease with which it pulls off the soil. There is one other way I ID questionable triv vs KBG at the time of year but it's difficult to explain. I'll try to pull some and post a picture over next few days.
Your video was very helpful with ID for me. Thank you. From my understanding, repeated shots of glyphosate in the spring when it's actively growing is the best tactic in the triv battle, but is there anything effective we can do this time of year? Before I knew what it was, I ripped out a 3'x3' patch almost exactly a year ago and reseeded, which seemed to help. It doesn't appear to have been invaded again, yet.
Chris, glad that vid helped and thanks for letting me know. You are right that the research says killing in the spring seems to be the most effective. However, I had two large areas of triv that I killed in the Fall and reno'd in 2 consecutive years. On the first one, the triv exploded the following fall but on the second it did not. The obvious question is why and I still have not figured it out. My current thinking is that aerating, overseeding and topdressing with a layer of compost was responsible for the triv explosion. Between the constant watering and the layer of compost, I think the triv thrived. In year 2, I skipped the compost topdress and did not see as much triv. Total guess but I think the water retention of the compost could have had something to do with it.

Bottom line, I would hit it with roundup NOW and reseed it. Don't wait for spring.

Chris LI
Posts: 607
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:04 am
Location: Long Island, NY
Grass Type: KBG,TTTF, FF-different mixes
Lawn Size: 5K
Mower: Snapper Hi Vac 21"

Re: Green's Lawn Journal

Post by Chris LI » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:07 pm

@tgreen
Thank you. I kept it mostly out of dormancy this summer, so I might have a shot with roundup.

Green
Posts: 3434
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:27 am
Location: CT (Zone 6B)
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF
Lawn Size: 15K
Mower: Toro 22", MTD 21", Fiskars 18"

Re: Green's Lawn Journal

Post by Green » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:07 pm

@tgreen, You know the "strings" you get sticking out of the cut tips when mowing with a dull mower blade sometimes?

The string test is where you take a grass blade off and try to stretch it like silly putty. It will snap in half at some point, but if done right, you'll get a broken grass blade held together by one or more "strings" when it's Triv. In KBG, that hasn't happened yet...the strings snap off at the same time as the leaf tissue in KBG, leaving a cleanly ripped grass blade without strings sticking out.

This works so well that I use it as a diagnostic test to tell Triv/annua from KBG. Problem is right now, with heat-stressed Triv, you have to do it on a number of blades before you see the strings because they're so shriveled up and weak from the heat and/or herbicides. Also, I haven't tested every KBG cultivar that exists, of course...it's possible that some of them could "string" as well.
Last edited by Green on Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Front: Northern mix - mostly TTTF, KBG, TTPR. Back: Firecracker and Bullseye TTTF with America, Rugby 2, Bewitched KBG. Upper Side: Mostly TTPR, KBG. Lower Side: similar to front. Low-input: TF/FF, KBG, PR. Always seeding somewhere or fighting Triv.

Green
Posts: 3434
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:27 am
Location: CT (Zone 6B)
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF
Lawn Size: 15K
Mower: Toro 22", MTD 21", Fiskars 18"

Re: Green's Lawn Journal

Post by Green » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:17 pm

Mowed the main front, front hill/hellstrips, and upper side real quick. Still at 4 in. I didn't have any more gas left after what was in the mower. Need to get more tomorrow.

Put most of a new pack of mosquito dunks down in the flood-prone area.

Really need rain tomorrow.

It's been high 80s/low 90s again the past few days. Looking at the long-term forecast, it's going to be perfect seeding weather after a few more days...highs in the 70s and 80s and lows in the 50s and 60s. Can't argue with that since I need to put down some seed, and won't have to water a zillion times a day.
Last edited by Green on Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Front: Northern mix - mostly TTTF, KBG, TTPR. Back: Firecracker and Bullseye TTTF with America, Rugby 2, Bewitched KBG. Upper Side: Mostly TTPR, KBG. Lower Side: similar to front. Low-input: TF/FF, KBG, PR. Always seeding somewhere or fighting Triv.

Green
Posts: 3434
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:27 am
Location: CT (Zone 6B)
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF
Lawn Size: 15K
Mower: Toro 22", MTD 21", Fiskars 18"

Re: Green's Lawn Journal

Post by Green » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:22 pm

Got rain a few times today. ~0.375 inch in the rain gauge.

Set up Orbit sprinkler for 80 min near door and zones 1 and 2 to water for 45 and 60 min respectively tomorrow morning (about 0.35 inch).

Might also water low-input area about 0.2 inch tomorrow or the next day, depending on mowing schedule. Or, might just wait until the next cycle, since 0.375 inch of fairly hard rain should have penetrated to the roots pretty well...probably better than 0.5 inch from a sprinkler, actually. I think I'll wait it out until the next cycle.
Last edited by Green on Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:02 am, edited 3 times in total.
Front: Northern mix - mostly TTTF, KBG, TTPR. Back: Firecracker and Bullseye TTTF with America, Rugby 2, Bewitched KBG. Upper Side: Mostly TTPR, KBG. Lower Side: similar to front. Low-input: TF/FF, KBG, PR. Always seeding somewhere or fighting Triv.

Post Reply