Neem Oil for Lawn

Cool season grasses like Kentucky Bluegrass, Fescue & Rye
scottyhoz
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 500 sq ft
Mower: Greenworks Electric

Neem Oil for Lawn

Post by scottyhoz » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:21 pm

Anyone have advice for applying Neem to their turf? Got some fungus and Eagle is in the mail but I want to put something out that I have on hand to try keep it at bay while I wait. I am thinking 1 oz per gallon with a few drops of soap. Going to apply it this evening to allow it to dry overnight to avoid burn and hit it with a quick shower in the morning to rinse the lawn off. Any additional
Input would be appreciated. Thanks.

pennstater2005
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 15,000 sq ft
Mower: Husqvarna YTH18K46

Re: Neem Oil for Lawn

Post by pennstater2005 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:59 pm

@scottyhoz Did you end up applying this? How did it turn out?
"Perfection, like infinity, is unobtainable, even at places like Augusta. It's the journey toward the goal that holds all the fun, joy, and reward." - dfw_pilot

Lawn Fertilizer Calculator

Credit

scottyhoz

Post by scottyhoz » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:06 am

Hey @pennstater2005 Yeah I threw it down across the enitre lawn, a bit more on the affected spots. A bit messy to work with and hard to emulsify, had to play around with the soap quite a bit to get it mixed. What did it do? Well no new patches emerged and the fungus seemed to stall. Not sure if it was the Neem or the weather change that saw the crazy hot/humid temps give way to more seasonal norms. So all-in-all I think it did what I hoped it would. If nothing else it gave me some piece of mind while I waited for the Eagle in the mail.

Finally, got the curative rate of Eagle down on Tuesday and will hit it again at the end of the month. I may do a third application in September as I have read that the fungicide residual effect (somewhat low for Eagle anyways) may not be as long when applied during periods with minimal root activity.

So hopefully now I can rid myself of this and with the Fall growing season upon us see the lawn recover and fill itself in. Lawn was sodded in the Spring so lots of water was being thrown down. I think next year with a less intense watering schedule and a preventative fungicide apps I should be in the clear.
Last edited by scottyhoz on Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:19 am

Good to hear. What type of KBG did you use?
"Perfection, like infinity, is unobtainable, even at places like Augusta. It's the journey toward the goal that holds all the fun, joy, and reward." - dfw_pilot

Credit

gene_stl
Grass Type: Cool Season Mostly unknown KBG
Lawn Size: 59,000 square feet.
Mower: Hustler Raptor 54 FlipUp

Post by gene_stl » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:06 pm

I bought a bottle of Neem oil the other day to add to insect spray. It seems that shield bugs/stink bugs don't like it. We have those here in St. Louis. I didn't know it was also fungicidal.

scottyhoz

Post by scottyhoz » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:44 pm

@pennstater2005 Sod farm uses a blend called T88 that is a mix of BeDazzled, Full Moon, Waterworks and Midnight. It’s a pretty drought tolerant mix and looks fantastic. It has been doing really well at 3” all season. Looking forward to fall and getting it back in shape to put positive bookend on its first season.

pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:24 pm

scottyhoz wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:44 pm
@pennstater2005 Sod farm uses a blend called T88 that is a mix of BeDazzled, Full Moon, Waterworks and Midnight. It’s a pretty drought tolerant mix and looks fantastic. It has been doing really well at 3” all season. Looking forward to fall and getting it back in shape to put positive bookend on its first season.
Great cultivars. Good luck :thumbup:

Credit

Powhatan
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: KY-31, TTTF, HBG
Lawn Size: 13,000 SqFt
Mower: Rotary

Post by Powhatan » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:32 am

I sprayed Garden Safe Brand Fungicide3 (Ready-To-Spray) has 70% neem oil on rust pustules a week ago on a corner lawn section. The next day I didn't see the raised rust pustules, don't know if the product is suppose to work that quickly. I checked that area yesterday evening and no noticeable pustules there.

This morning I sprayed the neem oil on some brown patch spots. The label says to reapply within 7 - 14 days interval when disease present.

BXMurphy
Grass Type: Whatchamacallit and weeds
Lawn Size: 2,500 SF
Mower: Push-type rotary mulcher

Post by BXMurphy » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:46 pm

I have been falling in love with Neem Oil. It is kind of like Robitussin for green things... good for most everything.

Test small areas first to check for sensitivities.

Be careful not to apply when the sun is beating on your green thing because it is an oil, after all, and you will run the risk of frying something... like Kentucky-fried chicken kind of frying...

B
Lawn hobbyist since June 2017.
(Northeast MA on NH border. Zone 6B.)

Kmartel
Grass Type: KBG/ NOMIX
Lawn Size: 40K
Mower: Toro reelmaster 3100D

Post by Kmartel » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:50 pm

To control a fungus?? That’s a new one to me, I guess the mind will believe whatever you tell it too.

The Anti-Rebel
Grass Type: Every Type
Lawn Size: 1.63 Acres
Mower: Toro Timecutter

Post by The Anti-Rebel » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:14 am

Kmartel wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:50 pm
To control a fungus?? That’s a new one to me, I guess the mind will believe whatever you tell it too.

Its on the label.

BXMurphy
Grass Type: Whatchamacallit and weeds
Lawn Size: 2,500 SF
Mower: Push-type rotary mulcher

Post by BXMurphy » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:07 am

The Anti-Rebel wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:14 am
Kmartel wrote:

Its on the label.
Yep. I've had my most successful year ever using Neem Oil on my flowers and veggies. That much I can tell you.

Bugs, rot, spots, mildew, leaf curl... all gone.

B
Lawn hobbyist since June 2017.
(Northeast MA on NH border. Zone 6B.)

Suburban Jungle Life
Grass Type: TTTF, FF, Zoysia
Lawn Size: 10k
Mower: Spinning Machete

Post by Suburban Jungle Life » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:58 pm

Kmartel wrote:
Check out the fungicide guide. There is neem oil, other oils, bacteria, and a few other choices. All labeled to kill fungus.

Patiently waiting
Grass Type: Kentucy B-Bewitched, Midnight
Lawn Size: 1/2 acre
Mower: Lawn Boy Mulcher

Post by Patiently waiting » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:18 am

My neighbor had a tree that was infested with webworms. They made a nest so large it was like someone took a bed sheet and laid it on the tree. So, I took some Neem Oil which I HIGHLY PRAISE, and put it in my pump canister and sprayed the webbing. In 3 days they were all dead. I also use it around my bushes that Japanese Beetles attack. it makes the little buggers sick. Put the recommended dosage in a bucket of water and poor around your trees or bushes. the tree will absorb it while it goes to the leaves. If a chewing insect eats the leaf they get sick, can't reproduce, and the eggs they lay won't hatch. This is also beneficial for your lawn as if you have chewing insects that are a problem they won't be any longer with the Neem Oil.

cmcgill
Grass Type: Northern mix
Lawn Size: .6 acre
Mower: Sears 42"

Post by cmcgill » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:32 pm

What brands of neem oil do you all use? I have been using a pure neem oil and making my own recipe.

Patiently waiting
Grass Type: Kentucy B-Bewitched, Midnight
Lawn Size: 1/2 acre
Mower: Lawn Boy Mulcher

Post by Patiently waiting » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:54 pm

FuzzeWuzze
Grass Type: Rye Grass
Lawn Size: 2500sqft
Mower: Lawn Boy 21"

Post by FuzzeWuzze » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:39 pm

It's also heavily used in hops growing to kill aphids, works great

x Wild Bill x
Grass Type: NoMix
Lawn Size: 18,500ft2
Mower: Bradley 52" Compact Stander

Post by x Wild Bill x » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:10 am

@cmcgill How have you been making your " recipe"

I am interested in trying neem oil on my lawn and the cheapest price I have found is on eBay, $66 for a gallon of 100% neem oil. The Garden Safe is $10 for 16oz of 70%. They say not to use a spreader sticker or anything else. I am thinking that is what is in the other 30% ingredients vs 100% neem oil. I already have a spreader sticker, so thinking of going with the gallon at .7oz per 1M and the appropriate amount of spreader sticker. This would be the most cost effective way for me to get it down.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this plan?