Mowers, blowers & other important tools of the trade
Topic Author
h22lude
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 18,500
Mower: Cub Cadet XT1 46"

Tow behind or push spreader?

Post by h22lude »

Trying to figure if I should go with a tow behind or push spreader. Any recommendations? I have 18k yard. I figured a tow behind would be easier and faster but the push behind might give me better control.

Powhatan
Grass Type: KY-31 & NoMix
Lawn Size: 12,000
Mower: Rotary

Re: Tow behind or push spreader?

Post by Powhatan »

I've got 13K lawn and use a tow, you've got 18.5K ... I'm thinking tow for you :thumbup: Compare the quality of the hopper agitator mechanism before deciding on a spreader model.

Topic Author
h22lude

Post by h22lude »

That is what I'm thinking too. Do you have any brand recommendations? I saw a few on the big box guys sites and they didn't get great reviews (even Deere).

Powhatan

Post by Powhatan »

I’ve got the John Deere branded Brinly BS-36BH. Works for me.

https://brinly.com/product/bs-36bh-175-lb-tow-spreader/

125 lbs loaded
https://postimg.cc/image/yq5d9wec1/
Last edited by Powhatan on Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.

outdoorsmen
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 18,000
Mower: John deere srx95

Post by outdoorsmen »

Ive thought about a tow behind for my 18,000 but wonder about control as well. Like edging and tight spots. Plus storage of another big item in my garage. Ill just stick with me scotts deluxe and get some needed exercise.
Last edited by outdoorsmen on Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

craigdt
Grass Type: Fescue
Lawn Size: 10000
Mower: Ferris IS600z

Post by craigdt »

Get both!

I have a Earthway walk behind and Agri-fab tow behind for 10K sq ft.

Walk behind does allow easier application in tighter areas.

Tow behind makes easy work of quick applications of thrower-down items, like Milorganite and bug killer.

Edit- Wow, look at that brown patch in the background. Ew.

Last edited by craigdt on Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HomerGuy
Grass Type: TBD - Seeding this fall
Lawn Size: TBD
Mower: 52" Toro Titan HD 1500

Post by HomerGuy »

I've got 35k and use a Lesco 80lb push spreader. I bought it before I got the ZTR.

Now that I've got something I could pull a spreader with, I'm still not sure that I would get a pull behind spreader. Most of the time I am only dropping 50-100 lbs anyways per app, so I don't find the push spreader to be burdensome. Now if I was dropping Milo (and I don't because of cost) and having to drop 500lbs per app, my thoughts might be different.

I am planning to get a tow behind sprayer before next season though.

Delmarva Keith
Lawn Size: 20,000
Mower: Bigs & Littles

Post by Delmarva Keith »

I still push out up to half acre.. On a hot day, am starting to get too old for that. :D

By the time all is said and done, depending on the overall landscape, I don’t think it really takes a whole lot more time to push. Having to go around things, trees, beds, whatever, also getting in and out of any tight areas or blind corners, and still get even coverage can be a challenge for a tow behind. Conversely, if it’s all wide open and a large area, tow behind makes more sense.

MasterMech
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 20,000sq ft
Mower: Jacobsen GK526a

Post by MasterMech »

20k, all done with walk-behind equipment. I have an 80lb Lesco push and it’s more than adequate.

Topic Author
h22lude

Post by h22lude »

My entire yard is pretty wide open. Have a few trees in the front yard at the very edge of my property near the road. I'm thinking about turning that into a bed anyway so I may not fertilize that area. The only other thing I have is a shed in the corner of my backyard which I could just use a hand spreader for behind it (very very small area). I do think it would save me a lot of time using tow behind but I also want good coverage. If tow behind spreaders don't have a good spread, I'd rather get the job done right with a walk behind.

ForsheeMS
Lawn Size: 19,000
Mower: Hustler X-One

Post by ForsheeMS »

I just use the Earthway bag spreader on my 19k. It's worked well for the last 15 or so years and I have much better control than a push or pull behind.

Topic Author
h22lude

Post by h22lude »

Went to Lowe's yesterday and they had a brand new 130lb tow behind Deere spreader for 75% off. I couldn't pass it up. I think it was the floor model which is fine with me. Only thing I have noticed so far is the hole is never 100% closed. It is open a little less than 1/8". Is this normal or should it be fully closed? I think I can easily fix it by bending the end of the rod that adjusts the size of the opening. If not, I can always return it.

Powhatan

Post by Powhatan »

h22lude wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:54 am
Went to Lowe's yesterday and they had a brand new 130lb tow behind Deere spreader for 75% off. I couldn't pass it up. I think it was the floor model which is fine with me. Only thing I have noticed so far is the hole is never 100% closed. It is open a little less than 1/8". Is this normal or should it be fully closed? I think I can easily fix it by bending the end of the rod that adjusts the size of the opening. If not, I can always return it.
The hopper gate should be fully closed when set to closed position. The handle to open/close the gate might have bolts than can be loosened to adjust. Step 17 in the manual explains adjustment.

http://agri-fab.com/Portals/0/Manuals/45-04632.pdf

Topic Author
h22lude

Post by h22lude »

Awesome, thank you. I'll look at that when I get home

PA Lawn Guy
Grass Type: TTTF/PRG/KBG
Lawn Size: half acre
Mower: Lawn tractor and Honda HRR

Post by PA Lawn Guy »

h22lude wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:54 am
It's amazing how much awesome stuff you can score on clearance this time of year. The irony is, it's actually right when you probably need it most!

Nice find, 'grats! :thumbup:

Smokindog
Grass Type: Bermuda front St Aug back
Lawn Size: 2.5 acre lot
Mower: Husqvarna RZ46i

Post by Smokindog »

My lot is about 2.5 acres broken up into multiple "yards".

I've got a pull behind, a push, and multiple hand spreaders. I use the pull behind for areas that I can adequately maneuver the lawn tractor. I don't pull with my ZTR, I've been told never to do that. The other areas I use the hand spreader (1-4K)

The push spreader I bought YEARS ago in my typical smaller square suburban lots and even then I tended to prefer the hand spreader.

I'd probably go one more level up if I were buying the pull behind today but what I have works fine. It's about 7 years old now. I think I paid less than $100 for it at Northern Tool. I thoroughly wash it and the tractor off after every application.

I do NOT approach the 100 lbs advertised load as I don't think the axle would take much of a bump with that weight. I stay under 60 lbs and typically just a single 40-50 pound bag at a time and refill as needed. I also fertilize more often and less product. If I need to put done more I do it in multiple passes for more even coverage. That's the beauty of the pull behind, I run the tractor a speed 4 of 5 with the meter closed more than recommended on the spreader. My measure is how much fertilizer I spread in total, not how fast it's dispensed. Much like liquid metering from the tow behind sprayer, volume per 1K feet is all that matters.

Look for pneumatic tires, metal gears, a sturdy axle, and controls that are accessible. I'll admit that reaching back to turn this on/off was tricky at first but I've mastered it. I also do a full perimeter drop first and then loop to the center. That pattern works for MY lawn and you'll develop your own.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Scotts-Turf-Bu ... YQQAvD_BwE

Last edited by Smokindog on Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ctrav
Grass Type: Bermuda Tif 419
Lawn Size: 30K
Mower: Toro GM, Commercial, Recycler

Post by ctrav »

Since I have 30k of maintained lawn I have a Brinley tow behind that works well. I’m still going to get a Lesco 50# walk behind. One I love the Lesco spreader and it will work well for the tight spots around the pool.
MY JOURNAL

Much of your pain is self chosen!

DIY Lawn and Garden Products