Share your Amazon Prime Day finds here!

ctrav journal

Warm season member lawn journals
Post Reply
User avatar
ctrav
TLF Supporter
Posts: 2002
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:39 pm
Location: Northlake, TX
Grass Type: Bermuda Tif 419
Lawn Size: 30K
Mower: Toro GM 1000, ZTR, Recycler

Re: ctrav journal

Post by ctrav » Wed May 15, 2019 6:57 pm

Redtwin wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 6:38 pm
That SUCKS!!!

I bet R&R can get you a replacement pretty quickly.
I spoke with R&R first but they don't have that part so they sent me to Toro who gave me a few authorized service folks. I did find the part and the folks were awesome at Pro Turf!!
MY JOURNAL

Much of your pain is self chosen!

manthatsnice
Posts: 55
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:38 pm
Location: Madison, AL
Grass Type: Tif 419
Lawn Size: 7k sq ft
Mower: Toro GM 1000

Re: ctrav journal

Post by manthatsnice » Wed May 15, 2019 9:32 pm

I had this happen once too. One thing to ensure when you install your new one is that it's perfectly perpendicular to the front roller to make sure there's no torque on the bracket. Obviously the higher the HOC, the more torque could be applied to the bracket if it's not just right on the roller.

User avatar
ctrav
TLF Supporter
Posts: 2002
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:39 pm
Location: Northlake, TX
Grass Type: Bermuda Tif 419
Lawn Size: 30K
Mower: Toro GM 1000, ZTR, Recycler

Re: ctrav journal

Post by ctrav » Thu May 16, 2019 12:52 pm

manthatsnice wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 9:32 pm
I had this happen once too. One thing to ensure when you install your new one is that it's perfectly perpendicular to the front roller to make sure there's no torque on the bracket. Obviously the higher the HOC, the more torque could be applied to the bracket if it's not just right on the roller.
Thanks for the advice @manthatsnice ! Should I take the roller completely off or just remove the old bracket and go from there??
MY JOURNAL

Much of your pain is self chosen!

User avatar
ctrav
TLF Supporter
Posts: 2002
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:39 pm
Location: Northlake, TX
Grass Type: Bermuda Tif 419
Lawn Size: 30K
Mower: Toro GM 1000, ZTR, Recycler

Re: ctrav journal

Post by ctrav » Thu May 16, 2019 12:55 pm

My new toys have arrived and now Im 2/3 of the way reel mowing. GM1000 replacement part should be here tomorrow!


Image

Image

Image

Going to head to Lowes and see if I can make a HOC bar (without breaking something) :) :thumbup:
MY JOURNAL

Much of your pain is self chosen!

mdmack
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:20 pm
Location: Pensacola Florida
Grass Type: Empire Zoysia
Lawn Size: 10,000 SF
Mower: Toro Greensmaster 1000

Re: ctrav journal

Post by mdmack » Thu May 16, 2019 1:51 pm

Looks like it will be a simple fix to get that part changed out. get that height of cut down somewhere around 5/8" and you wont regret it. I know its scary, but it will grow back so much greener and thicker.

User avatar
ctrav
TLF Supporter
Posts: 2002
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:39 pm
Location: Northlake, TX
Grass Type: Bermuda Tif 419
Lawn Size: 30K
Mower: Toro GM 1000, ZTR, Recycler

Re: ctrav journal

Post by ctrav » Thu May 16, 2019 1:57 pm

mdmack wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 1:51 pm
Looks like it will be a simple fix to get that part changed out. get that height of cut down somewhere around 5/8" and you wont regret it. I know its scary, but it will grow back so much greener and thicker.
Thanks so much @mdmack Gotta love positive a reply :thumbup:

I don't have a budget left for sand/leveling this year so do you still recommend going lower or that low??
Last edited by ctrav on Thu May 16, 2019 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MY JOURNAL

Much of your pain is self chosen!

mdmack
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:20 pm
Location: Pensacola Florida
Grass Type: Empire Zoysia
Lawn Size: 10,000 SF
Mower: Toro Greensmaster 1000

Re: ctrav journal

Post by mdmack » Thu May 16, 2019 4:05 pm

ctrav wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 1:57 pm
mdmack wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 1:51 pm
Looks like it will be a simple fix to get that part changed out. get that height of cut down somewhere around 5/8" and you wont regret it. I know its scary, but it will grow back so much greener and thicker.
Thanks so much @mdmack Gotta love positive a reply :thumbup:

I don't have a budget left for sand/leveling this year so do you still recommend going lower or that low??
I would go as low as I could without getting into the dirt. A greensmower will surprise you on how low you can get even on an bumpy yard. It will look awful for a month, but in the end you wont regret it.

User avatar
ctrav
TLF Supporter
Posts: 2002
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:39 pm
Location: Northlake, TX
Grass Type: Bermuda Tif 419
Lawn Size: 30K
Mower: Toro GM 1000, ZTR, Recycler

Re: ctrav journal

Post by ctrav » Fri May 17, 2019 8:32 am

My part just arrived to fix my GM1000. Not only did they send the part but a new Toro hat as well. How cool is that!

Image

Image

Image

Pro Turf totally rocks...
MY JOURNAL

Much of your pain is self chosen!

User avatar
ctrav
TLF Supporter
Posts: 2002
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:39 pm
Location: Northlake, TX
Grass Type: Bermuda Tif 419
Lawn Size: 30K
Mower: Toro GM 1000, ZTR, Recycler

Re: ctrav journal

Post by ctrav » Fri May 17, 2019 10:35 am

Fixed it and HOC set at .75 on one side and .76 on the other. Thats as close as I could get them...
The middle is a different story so I just stuck with measuring the ends :|

Image

Image
MY JOURNAL

Much of your pain is self chosen!

User avatar
ctrav
TLF Supporter
Posts: 2002
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:39 pm
Location: Northlake, TX
Grass Type: Bermuda Tif 419
Lawn Size: 30K
Mower: Toro GM 1000, ZTR, Recycler

Re: ctrav journal

Post by ctrav » Fri May 17, 2019 4:31 pm

Just finished the first "REEL" cut at .75! Had to go over it 3 times and double bag the clippings which in the end filled 4 big lawn bags from Lowes.

Image

Image

Image

Now Im going back out and try to get down to .50...
MY JOURNAL

Much of your pain is self chosen!

User avatar
ctrav
TLF Supporter
Posts: 2002
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:39 pm
Location: Northlake, TX
Grass Type: Bermuda Tif 419
Lawn Size: 30K
Mower: Toro GM 1000, ZTR, Recycler

Re: ctrav journal

Post by ctrav » Sat May 18, 2019 12:00 am

Truly scalped the front lawn at .50 HOC

So I posted earlier after cutting down to .75 and after doing some things for the wife I reset the HOC to .50! Started about 3pm and I must say the grass did not like going down that low as it took me until 8:40pm to finish. I did have to stop for about 30 minutes to grill some chicken for the family...

Thoughts:
- the GM1000 ran strong the entire time with only one refill
- maneuvering the mower was still a slight challenge but I tried different techniques like adjusting throttle, anticipation of turns better and so on
- multiple passes were required due to thick parts of the grass which I attribute to thatch
- I found I like making right turns as I use the right gear lever to stop forward motion and turn the mower at the same time (made feel like I knew what I was doing) :)
- I don't like the transport wheel rods but they are handy for lifting the mower to put 2x4 underneath but the will dig into the ground if one side is on a sloped low spot
- going low for the first time requires lots of bags as I was dumping the grass basket every time I went across and back (that sucked)
- the run stop button should be located where I don't keep hitting it with my leg (happened 3 times)
- cleaning up the edges and areas I couldn't get the mower close to will be challenging to clean up and get down really low so I hope the lawn scissors do the trick

At the end of the day my body is tired, I feel a sense of accomplishment and I appreciate all the encouragement from you good folks here at TLF!

Image

Image

Filled the back of the truck with bags of grass. So much so I ran out of the Lowes bags and had to go plastic!
Image
MY JOURNAL

Much of your pain is self chosen!

User avatar
SGrabs33
TLF Supporter
Posts: 1968
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:52 pm
Location: Apex, NC
Grass Type: Tif419 Bermuda
Lawn Size: 4.5k sq ft
Mower: California Trimmer, TruCut
Contact:

Re: ctrav journal

Post by SGrabs33 » Sat May 18, 2019 11:21 am

It’s tough work but I’m glad the new REEL crushed it. Yeah, the rotary scissors should make quick work of the spots left behind.

Just think of this as your spring scalp. All other mows should be nice and leisurely :thumbup: Well maybe not leisurely but better that mow

User avatar
ctrav
TLF Supporter
Posts: 2002
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:39 pm
Location: Northlake, TX
Grass Type: Bermuda Tif 419
Lawn Size: 30K
Mower: Toro GM 1000, ZTR, Recycler

Re: ctrav journal

Post by ctrav » Sat May 18, 2019 11:49 am

SGrabs33 wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 11:21 am
It’s tough work but I’m glad the new REEL crushed it. Yeah, the rotary scissors should make quick work of the spots left behind.

Just think of this as your spring scalp. All other mows should be nice and leisurely :thumbup: Well maybe not leisurely but better that mow
Thanks @SGrabs33 as the .50 was very time consuming. Mower kept stopping or getting stuck. Do you think I should mow at least once more at .50 or go ahead and raise to .75?
MY JOURNAL

Much of your pain is self chosen!

User avatar
SGrabs33
TLF Supporter
Posts: 1968
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:52 pm
Location: Apex, NC
Grass Type: Tif419 Bermuda
Lawn Size: 4.5k sq ft
Mower: California Trimmer, TruCut
Contact:

Re: ctrav journal

Post by SGrabs33 » Sat May 18, 2019 2:23 pm

ctrav wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 11:49 am
SGrabs33 wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 11:21 am
It’s tough work but I’m glad the new REEL crushed it. Yeah, the rotary scissors should make quick work of the spots left behind.

Just think of this as your spring scalp. All other mows should be nice and leisurely :thumbup: Well maybe not leisurely but better that mow
Thanks SGrabs33 as the .50 was very time consuming. Mower kept stopping or getting stuck. Do you think I should mow at least once more at .50 or go ahead and raise to .75?
If you truely think you got everything to .5 then raise it up. If not, take some perpendicular passes to how you’ve already mowed and see how much more your taking off.

User avatar
ctrav
TLF Supporter
Posts: 2002
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:39 pm
Location: Northlake, TX
Grass Type: Bermuda Tif 419
Lawn Size: 30K
Mower: Toro GM 1000, ZTR, Recycler

Re: ctrav journal

Post by ctrav » Sat May 18, 2019 2:30 pm

SGrabs33 wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 2:23 pm
ctrav wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 11:49 am
SGrabs33 wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 11:21 am
It’s tough work but I’m glad the new REEL crushed it. Yeah, the rotary scissors should make quick work of the spots left behind.

Just think of this as your spring scalp. All other mows should be nice and leisurely :thumbup: Well maybe not leisurely but better that mow
Thanks SGrabs33 as the .50 was very time consuming. Mower kept stopping or getting stuck. Do you think I should mow at least once more at .50 or go ahead and raise to .75?
If you truely think you got everything to .5 then raise it up. If not, take some perpendicular passes to how you’ve already mowed and see how much more your taking off.
Considering I ran out of daylight a few more passes probably won't hurt. I mowed east/west then went back north/south and there were plenty of rough spots which could also be contributed to the lawn needing leveling with sand??
MY JOURNAL

Much of your pain is self chosen!

User avatar
SGrabs33
TLF Supporter
Posts: 1968
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:52 pm
Location: Apex, NC
Grass Type: Tif419 Bermuda
Lawn Size: 4.5k sq ft
Mower: California Trimmer, TruCut
Contact:

Re: ctrav journal

Post by SGrabs33 » Sat May 18, 2019 3:27 pm

Yep, prob just random high spots where the bedknife dragged and scalped. No big deal. I’m sure some sand wouldn’t hurt.

User avatar
ctrav
TLF Supporter
Posts: 2002
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:39 pm
Location: Northlake, TX
Grass Type: Bermuda Tif 419
Lawn Size: 30K
Mower: Toro GM 1000, ZTR, Recycler

Re: ctrav journal

Post by ctrav » Sun May 19, 2019 5:35 pm

Bought the Idech Power Scissors and was going to use my Echo SRM-225 but felt I would still need my string trimmer. Went on FB marketplace last night and found a brand new Husqvarna 324L (4 stroke) for sale and listed at $225. This was a decent price as the retail is $340 but me and the seller haggled for over an hour. Surprised he hung in there as long as he did. Long story short I picked the trimmer up this morning for $160...

I assembled the new parts and took the power scissors out for a quick spin. I even tried edging with it but I will stick to my old string trimmer for that and trimming the back 40 fence line. I need practice with the power scissors for sure but at the end of the day this is a great addition to the arsenal...


Image

Image

Image

Image
MY JOURNAL

Much of your pain is self chosen!

Brackin4au
Posts: 498
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:11 pm
Location: Madison, AL
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 21k
Mower: JD 260SL

Re: ctrav journal

Post by Brackin4au » Sun May 19, 2019 9:23 pm

ctrav wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 12:00 am
Truly scalped the front lawn at .50 HOC
Yes! Glad you took the plunge... Can’t wait to see how it looks when it greens back up.

User avatar
ctrav
TLF Supporter
Posts: 2002
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:39 pm
Location: Northlake, TX
Grass Type: Bermuda Tif 419
Lawn Size: 30K
Mower: Toro GM 1000, ZTR, Recycler

Re: ctrav journal

Post by ctrav » Sun May 19, 2019 9:26 pm

Thanks @Brackin4au and I can’t wait either 👍🏾
MY JOURNAL

Much of your pain is self chosen!

mdmack
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:20 pm
Location: Pensacola Florida
Grass Type: Empire Zoysia
Lawn Size: 10,000 SF
Mower: Toro Greensmaster 1000

Re: ctrav journal

Post by mdmack » Mon May 20, 2019 10:28 am

Nice work. Its such a pain, but you will be so happy you scalped it down to 1/2" in the long run. If you keep it low the scalp next year wont be nearly as bad either.

Post Reply