crussell's Baseball Field Improvements

Cool season member lawn journals
Shindoman
Grass Type: fine fescue/colonial bent
Lawn Size: 2000 sq ft
Mower: Dennis FT510

Re: crussell's Baseball Field Improvements

Post by Shindoman » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:29 pm

I would hold off on the top dress for a while. Soil temps need to be much higher before it will really start to grow enough to push thru a top dress. Give it some food if you can, the yellow blades in the last pic with the soil plugs tell me it's hungry. I mowed mine today with my new push mower just to clean it up a bit. The long wide blade growth is most likely annual rye grass. Keep mowing low and it will die off. Where is this field? I want to head down to Haggens to pick up some wonderful American beef, i'd love to drive by and check it out.

crussell
Grass Type: NoMix
Lawn Size: 5000 SF
Mower: JD 220B - JD 260B - GM1000

Post by crussell » Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:40 pm

@Shindoman Thanks that's good advice. Their first home game is not until the end of March, so I'll hold off on the top dress and hopefully still get it done in time.

I'm getting the soil samples to the lab this week, then I'll have some data to go off of for feeding.

Haggen has great meat! I still buy beef there sometimes, but I've really fallen for the Prime Beef at Costco. It's dynamite.

The field is at Ferndale High School, about 15 minutes south of the Peace Arch Border Crossing down I-5. If you make it down this way, feel free to shoot me a message and I can give you the tour!

It's just like the big league parks, except smaller, lower budget, and not nearly as impressive... haha

crussell

Post by crussell » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:47 pm

Soil results are in - Nothing looks too out of place? Any help with interpretation is appreciated! @Ridgerunner

Nitrogen looks low - The second page clarifies that any Urea that was applied, may not be reflected in the test results. I had applied Urea last fall (Nitrogen Blitz) so I'm not sure if this needs to be taken into consideration.

Ridgerunner
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 6500
Mower: Steiner 420, Honda

Post by Ridgerunner » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:42 pm

The pH, Major and Secondary nutrients are in good shape. Any issues would most likely be attributable to the micros (untested), disease, irrigation or mowing. So far, so good. :thumbup: Ca and Mg are fine. Sufficient reserves of P and K are present to allow for just maintenance fertilizer application. P levels are actually above common target level of 50ish ppm, so P could be skipped for the next growing season. If you elect to add any, I would suggest only 0.5 lb/M of P2O5 total for the season. Suggested maintenance amounts for K is to add 0.5 to 1;b?M of K2O for every pound of N applied. Suggest 1 lb/M of K2O for every pound of N applied. Test P and K next year and adjust future application rates based on the results. Soil N is pretty transient. Recommended level is about 20ish ppm for total N with Nitrate N to Ammonium N levels at 2:1 ratio or greater.
Yes, it does take time for urea to become (action of urease enzyme) ammonium and then more time for ammonium to become (action of microbial activity) Nitrate.

Ridgerunner
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 6500
Mower: Steiner 420, Honda

Post by Ridgerunner » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:44 pm

My above "analysis" was based on the assumption that the test was M3. I just noticed that Lab was Simply Soil Testing. The do use M3 for Ca, Mg and K BUT they use Bray P1 for pH <7 soils and Olsen for pH >7 soils. Recommended sufficiency levels for Bray P1 is 15-30, 59 is about twice sufficiency. I would suggest you not add any P this next season, retest next year (Feb) and observe any changes in P to determine future needs.
Last edited by Ridgerunner on Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

crussell

Post by crussell » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:24 am

@Ridgerunner Thank you so much!

Shindoman
Grass Type: fine fescue/colonial bent
Lawn Size: 2000 sq ft
Mower: Dennis FT510

Post by Shindoman » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:56 am

That's the beauty of TLF. You have someone like @Ridgerunnersharing his knowledge.

crussell

Post by crussell » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:20 pm

Just placed an order with Hancock Seed - Have two varieties coming.

1.) 50# KBG Midnight - I wasn't sure I wanted to pull the trigger on KBG, since my intent is to do an early Spring overseed which as most people know carries a low success rate. After some deliberation, I decided the risk was worth the reward. KBG is an ideal playing surface, and I will try to best set myself up for success to get this established. Worst case, I've wasted some seed but I'll have enough to try again in the fall.

2.) 50# Champion GQ PRG - I've used this seed before with good results. This will be my "go-to" for periodic overseeding throughout the season, and for high traffic areas. While I'm sure the success rate of mid-season overseeding is also low, this appears to be common practice for sports fields.