Now accepting nominations for April LOTM!

DIY Pest Control for Exterior/Interior of Home

A place to discuss DIY pest control
pennstater2005
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 15,000 sq ft
Mower: Husqvarna YTH18K46

DIY Pest Control for Exterior/Interior of Home

Post by pennstater2005 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:04 am

I know there are a lot of posts regarding pest control but they mostly seem to be for the lawn. This one is regarding home control only.

I contacted Do My Own for advice and was recommended Cyzmic CS over Talstar P due to the former’s AI being encapsulated thus being able to last longer in rain, wind, sunlight, etc.

Unless anyone here recommends otherwise I plan on purchasing the Cyzmic CS. I am hoping to apply it with my Chapin 2 gallon pump sprayer. I believe I will need to get a different tip though but am not sure.

My questions are:

1. What tip would work best for pest control application?
2. Will the stream go far enough to reach 2nd story windows?
3. Would one recommend a CF valve to help avoid drip when spraying indoors?

Any general advice is welcome as well!

I have other questions but can’t remember them right now :lol:
Last edited by Ware on Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Perfection, like infinity, is unobtainable, even at places like Augusta. It's the journey toward the goal that holds all the fun, joy, and reward." - dfw_pilot

dacoyne
Grass Type: KBG front, back in progress
Lawn Size: 3000sq/ft
Mower: Toro GM 1000 + Echo 21 in. 58v

Re: DIY Pest Control for Exterior/Interior of Home

Post by dacoyne » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:10 am

Good topic, following!

Ware
Site Admin
Grass Type: Bermuda - Tif 419
Lawn Size: 7,500 sq ft
Mower: Toro GM1600

Post by Ware » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:37 am

I added product links and corrected the spelling of "Cyzmic" in your post. :thumbup:

Also probably worth noting that Cyzmic CS is another product that is a little cheaper at Solutions Pest & Lawn.

If you are using a regular pump sprayer I would probably lean toward a dialed down adjustable cone nozzle for interior spraying (versus a fan tip). You will also probably find that spraying indoors around baseboards is a little cleaner with minimal pressure (just a couple pumps) - so a CF valve may not be the best option.

pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:49 am

Thanks @Ware. Do you have any experience with Cyzmic CS versus Talstar P?

I saw your video on Talstar using the B&G can but at $260 I’m not there yet! I wonder if the brass tip that came with the Chapin would be the best option? I’ll have to play around a bit with water first I suppose.
"Perfection, like infinity, is unobtainable, even at places like Augusta. It's the journey toward the goal that holds all the fun, joy, and reward." - dfw_pilot

Smokindog
Grass Type: Bermuda front St Aug back
Lawn Size: 2.5 acre lot
Mower: Husqvarna RZ46i

Post by Smokindog » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:09 am

For the column of "let's not overthink this" I'll add this!!!!!

I purchased a 2 pack of Raid MAX bug barrier which included two 1 gallon pre-mix and a battery operated sprayer. I paid less than $20 for it and have had the stuff now for about 5 years. I treat the inside perimeter of a 6K VERY irregularly shaped house. At first sign of a "June bug" or ants or other in the house I walk the inside perimeter looking for bugs and spray the bottom edge of the baseboard on the exterior wall in that room and +/- one room from the siting. It is allowed to completely dry before the pets are allowed near those areas although they never have bothered with it.

I then replace the insulating strip back on the batteries so they won't "discharge bleed and leak" and put the jug back into the cabinet in the garage.

I'm STILL on the FIRST gallon. No mixing, no cleanup, no searching for sprayers, no fuss, no muss. Sometimes the pre-mix is the convenient and not cost prohibitive method. YMMV.

Here is a one gallon example of what is working for me. I'm in the DFW area and surrounded by trees and "natural areas". We've got bugs and this keeps them outside. Again, YMMV but it's pretty cheap to try IMO.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Raid-Max-Bug ... thena=true
Last edited by Smokindog on Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

dfw_pilot
Site Admin
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 5,000 ft²
Mower: Toro GM1000

Post by dfw_pilot » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:32 am

pennstater2005 wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:04 am
I contacted Do My Own for advice and was recommended Cyzmic CS over Talstar P due to the former’s AI being encapsulated thus being able to last longer in rain, wind, sunlight, etc.
I can see why they recommended Cyzmic - $$. But $100 vs $40, will the AI really last 2.5 times longer? I only spray a couple times a year anyway. Food for thought.
The Bermuda Triangle | Sprayer Wand | Invest for Retirement | PWS
- A clear conscience is a great pillow -

pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:40 am

dfw_pilot wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:32 am
pennstater2005 wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:04 am
I can see why they recommended Cyzmic - $$. But $100 vs $40, will the AI really last 2.5 times longer? I only spray a couple times a year anyway. Food for thought.
That’s a very good point. I suppose I could do an extra outside spray if there was significant rain over the course of a month.

g-man
Lawn Size: 5678
Mower: John Deere 220E

Post by g-man » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:42 am

I use Cyzmic CS. It works great. It is a contact product (bug touches its) and the CS makes it last longer. UV (direct sunlight) breaks it down. It is a fairly safe product.

I do the perimeter of the house using a 2g chapin hand sprayer. I then do all the entry door frames, sliding doors, underneath the patio furniture, shrubs and stuff like that. I know I could use it indoors if needed, but just the outside keeps the bugs from getting in.

The 8oz container ($32) will last a long time. (0.2-0.4oz/gallon). Talstar is 1oz/g at $28 for 16oz. The net is the same price between the two.

Funny story: A pest control company showed up trying to sell me their services. I told him I was fine since I did it myself. He told me they use a professional product called Cyzmic CS and it was better than what I was doing. Since I was in the garage, I then showed him my bottle of Cyzmic CS. He was floored that I could buy it online and that it should be illegal for me to apply it. He then asked me not to tell the neighbors about it since it will hurt his business.

pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:51 am

g-man wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:42 am
I use Cyzmic CS. It works great. It is a contact product (bug touches its) and the CS makes it last longer. UV (direct sunlight) breaks it down. It is a fairly safe product.

I do the perimeter of the house using a 2g chapin hand sprayer. I then do all the entry door frames, sliding doors, underneath the patio furniture, shrubs and stuff like that. I know I could use it indoors if needed, but just the outside keeps the bugs from getting in.

The 8oz container ($32) will last a long time. (0.2-0.4oz/gallon). Talstar is 1oz/g at $28 for 16oz. The net is the same price between the two.

Funny story: A pest control company showed up trying to sell me their services. I told him I was fine since I did it myself. He told me they use a professional product called Cyzmic CS and it was better than what I was doing. Since I was in the garage, I then showed him my bottle of Cyzmic CS. He was floored that I could buy it online and that it should be illegal for me to apply it. He then asked me not to tell the neighbors about it since it will hurt his business.
Thanks @g-man. So when applying to the exterior/perimeter of your home do you get it done with 1 or 2 gallons of water? I know this will vary depending upon size of ones home but I’m just curious.

The reason I started this thread was because we had an exterminator spray and it was $150. I knew I could save money. I’ll keep my bottle close by to show whoever may stop by selling a service :D

dfw_pilot
Site Admin
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 5,000 ft²
Mower: Toro GM1000

Post by dfw_pilot » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:01 am

g-man wrote:
Excellent catch! My bad. I only use 0.75oz/g but the Cyzmic still sounds better than the bifenthrin.
The Bermuda Triangle | Sprayer Wand | Invest for Retirement | PWS
- A clear conscience is a great pillow -

g-man

Post by g-man » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:07 am

I use 1 gallon for all the above. I do adjust the spray pattern (turn style nozzle). Around the perimeter it is more of a stream and I only hit the ~4in of concrete between the siding and soil. For the other areas (shrubs, under the tables, under the grill, etc) it is more of a mist. It is amazing the mount of dead bugs I find the next day around the garage door rubber piece.

I've read and the mist option works best for this product. It really doesnt need that much for it to work. I do the stream around the house just to go faster. I apply it around once a month to 1.5 months.

@dfw_pilot I'm thinking of buying a Talstar next year and alternate every other month. This is mainly to avoid pest resistance. Both are great products and are what most pest companies use. It is fairly inexpensive to DIY. The $30 will last me 4 years (0.4oz * 5 months/year).

Ware
Site Admin

Post by Ware » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:38 am

I like @g-man's idea of rotating, so I went ahead and ordered an 8oz bottle of Cyzmic CS from Solutions Pest & Lawn. The price was $28.21 delivered. Thanks guys! :thumbup:

Ware
Site Admin

Post by Ware » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:05 pm

Here is the Talstar P I use at $33.98/qt.

And here is the B&G Sprayer I use for interior/perimeter spraying. They are expensive, but the pin stream it will lay down is amazing. :thumbup:

pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:36 pm

I like the idea of rotating as well and will order both. I’ll probably apply the Cyzmic CS during the rainy season here.

How often are you guys spraying. What months? I know that will vary by location. Maybe @g-man could best answer this as he is somewhat close to me.

Ware
Site Admin

Post by Ware » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:39 pm

I have been spraying the Talstar every 30-60 days or so.

g-man

Post by g-man » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:54 pm

Some marketing promo for Demand CS (Cyzmic CS).

http://www.syngentaebiz.com/productsyst ... &fTy=0&t=0

Ware
Site Admin

Post by Ware » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:56 pm

g-man wrote:
:lol:

gene_stl
Grass Type: Cool Season Mostly unknown KBG
Lawn Size: 59,000 square feet.
Mower: Hustler Raptor 54 FlipUp

Post by gene_stl » Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:16 pm

When I moved a year and a half ago I let the local dominant pest control company sign me up because I had more important things to worry about than spraying for bugs. But I just discontinued them.

They used Demand CS. It doesn't have any scent at all. I remember when the "bug man" used to spray Dursban (which you can still get from Ag suppliers. You knew you had been treated.

Has anyone added Insect Growth Regulator to their mixes??

Ware
Site Admin

Post by Ware » Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:59 pm

gene_stl wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:16 pm
Has anyone added Insect Growth Regulator to their mixes??
I have not, but have a friend that adds Tekko Pro to his mix. It is my understanding IGR's disrupt the life cycle by keeping juvenile insects from growing into adults and reproducing. You don't get the immediate knockdown, but it's supposed to be a great long term solution because it helps prevent rebound of the insect population. :thumbsup:

pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:01 pm

^ Just when I was understanding PGRs you all throw IGRs into the mix :lol: