Conditions promoting cool weather traffic damage

Cool season grasses like Kentucky Bluegrass, Fescue & Rye
Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF
Lawn Size: 15K
Mower: OEM 21" (by MTD); Fiskars 18"

Conditions promoting cool weather traffic damage

Post by Green » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:09 pm

What type of cool weather lawn damage from traffic...walking, playing, or mowing when it's too cold--have you experienced? And what were the conditions promoting the damage (air temp, soil temp, sun level, time of day, time of year, frost, snow, etc.) and what was the exrent of the damage? I'm hoping to establish a bank of information we can use based on our experiences. This way, we know what sorts of things to avoid, or what we might be able to get away with.
Last edited by Green on Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:11 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Front: Northern mix - mostly TTTF, KBG, TTPR. Back: Firecracker and Bullseye TTTF with America, Rugby 2, Bewitched KBG. Upper Side: Mostly TTPR, KBG. Lower Side: similar to front. Low-input: TF/FF, KBG, PR. Always seeding somewhere or fighting Triv.

SNOWBOB11
Grass Type: Bewitched front, NoMix back
Lawn Size: 3550
Mower: Yard Machines

Re: Conditions promoting cool weather traffic damage

Post by SNOWBOB11 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:47 pm

Sometimes even walking on frozen grass with no snow can lead to the foot prints staying in place until it warms up. It can also stay brown longer in the spring where it’s been walked on. Try to avoid walking on frozen grass IMO. It can do more damage than you think. If there’s snow it’s not really a problem.
Last edited by SNOWBOB11 on Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF
Lawn Size: 15K
Mower: OEM 21" (by MTD); Fiskars 18"

Re: Conditions promoting cool weather traffic damage

Post by Green » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:20 am

Following up with this thread. So there's going to be a little bit of contractor equipment being left in a few positions in the front at times during the day now for a few weeks when temps are in the 20s and 30s. I guess this will be a good experiment to see if there are actual dead spots in the Spring, or if just affects the topgrowth. I've always wanted to know what happens in these situations. The ground is frozen and everything is well hardened off, and mostly brown (earlier than usual this year), so I would guess not much damage will occur. Still a bit of a tough experiment in terms of witts, even though I have some spots I plan to kill and redo myself in the Spring. I guess worst case, what's the difference with a few more spots?

Last Winter, my neighbor had tree cutting trucks in his yard (they used boards), and there was damage, but nowhere near as bad as I expected in the Spring. It was not a total redo. He didn't put any seed down after.
Last edited by Green on Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:30 am, edited 5 times in total.
Front: Northern mix - mostly TTTF, KBG, TTPR. Back: Firecracker and Bullseye TTTF with America, Rugby 2, Bewitched KBG. Upper Side: Mostly TTPR, KBG. Lower Side: similar to front. Low-input: TF/FF, KBG, PR. Always seeding somewhere or fighting Triv.