Warm season grasses like Bermuda, Zoysia, St. Augustine, Centipede & Paspalum
Topic Author
BakerGreenLawnMaker
Grass Type: TTTF Front/Royal Zoysia Back
Lawn Size: 7000 front/2500 back
Mower: TruCut 27”

Zoysia Shade Tolerance

Post by BakerGreenLawnMaker »

I’m currently overhauling my backyard with new shrubs, new patio, etc and have completely ruined the St Augustine that is in place, due to the tractor that has been going in and out. I’ve always wanted a Zoysia lawn and I’m dead set on installing a Zoysia sod in the spring. My question is, what type of Zoysia is the best in regards to shade tolerance?

Movingshrub
Grass Type: TifTuf Bermuda
Lawn Size: 13,000 SQFT
Mower: Honda Rotary & JD 220A Reel

Re: Zoysia Shade Tolerance

Post by Movingshrub »

If you are concerned about the amount of light, get a light meter so you know where you stand.

Movingshrub

Post by Movingshrub »

Also, this does not address light requirement, but is applicable to establishment rate. https://www.agry.purdue.edu/turfnew/report/2004/p43.pdf

jayhawk
Grass Type: zoysia; tifgrand beauty strip
Lawn Size: Yuuuge 2500
Mower: TruCut

Post by jayhawk »

I've seen Geo, zeon do pretty well in backyards that are Part sun.

Avoid supersod.inc
Get drainage dialed in
Low N, prevent d (fungicide)

Reel or punishing it?

Interesting read @Movingshrub, you see emerald at the bottom which in my case, is more aggressive but it gets the most sun bigly, compared to my zeon.

Grass Clippins
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Titan Ultra TTTF
Lawn Size: 18000
Mower: Hustler Raptor

Post by Grass Clippins »

@BakerGreenLawnMaker

I was also researching shade tolerant zoysia earlier this year. Here is a good article Zoysia - for Shade, Walter Reeves

I'm no authority on the topic, but to summarize the article it appears Zeon does well in shade while El Toro does better. The trade off would be appearance. Zeon is a finer looking turf while El Toro has a thicker blade. I personally like the way El Toro looks and am leaning that direction. These two options are available by way of sod or plugs. If you want to throw seed Zenith is an option.
Brian O.

He that hath turf to mow, let him mow.

My Lawn Journal
Blue Mule Hose End Sprayer

Delmarva Keith
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 20,000
Mower: Bigs & Littles

Post by Delmarva Keith »

I’m guessing zoysia is similar enough to other grass types to say height of cut as high as you can dare to in the shade, or maybe even a little higher than that. :D

jonthepain
Grass Type: Zeon, Bermuda, Centipede
Lawn Size: 20k
Mower: 1984 Honda CB700SC

Post by jonthepain »

Despite marketing claims, it has been my experience that zeon peters out if there is any shade at all.

I've seen it many times, on many lawns.

Topic Author
BakerGreenLawnMaker
Grass Type: TTTF Front/Royal Zoysia Back
Lawn Size: 7000 front/2500 back
Mower: TruCut 27”

Post by BakerGreenLawnMaker »

Movingshrub wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:59 am
Also, this does not address light requirement, but is applicable to establishment rate. https://www.agry.purdue.edu/turfnew/report/2004/p43.pdf
Thanks @Movingshrub

Movingshrub

Post by Movingshrub »

@BakerGreenLawnMaker My pleasure. I was curious about easblishnent rate when sprigging. I was interested in their assertion that neither nitrogen or PRG would increase rate of establishment.

Spammage
Grass Type: Zoysia/Bermuda
Lawn Size: 6000 + 4000 non-irri
Mower: McLane 25" Greenskeeper

Post by Spammage »

@BakerGreenLawnMaker "shade tolerance" it has, but everything has it's limit. St Augustine is still more shade tolerant than zoysia, with the one possible exception being Diamond zoysia.

Greendoc
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: All warm season turf
Lawn Size: Acres
Mower: Toro GM 1000

Post by Greendoc »

jonthepain wrote:
Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:20 am
Despite marketing claims, it has been my experience that zeon peters out if there is any shade at all.

I've seen it many times, on many lawns.
So have I. El Toro kind of sort of hangs on. But and this is a big but. You cannot mow it as often or as low as the parts of the lawn in more sun. Soil has to be well drained. You also must restrict watering to that area. You also had better be ready to treat Nematodes and Large Patch.

Seeing what I have seen, I do not want Zoysia of any variety in shady areas.

high leverage
Grass Type: Bermuda & Zoysia
Lawn Size: 4.5k
Mower: GM 1000

Post by high leverage »

I have Meyer Z-52 in between my house and the neighbors. It only receives 4-5 hours of direct sunlight durning the peak growing season at 36º latitude. I can't mow it any lower than 1.5" and it recovers very slowwwwwww. It took 2 growing season to recover from light leveling with mason sand. Do not smother or scalp anywhere near dirt. I also experienced what I think was large patch last fall.
Last edited by high leverage on Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Greendoc
TLF Supporter

Post by Greendoc »

Sounds like my experience with Zoysia in shade. I basically stop mowing in shady areas at this time of the year and am on alert for disease.

jonthepain

Post by jonthepain »

What's the weather like in your part of the world this time of year?

Greendoc
TLF Supporter

Post by Greendoc »

Daytime high under 80. Nights drop to the low 60s. Cloudy most days. Heavy rain every week if not more often. Sun up at 7. Sun down at 5:45. Grass has not gone dormant but I know it wants to.

Reel_Geek
Grass Type: Zeon Zoysia
Lawn Size: 4000 sf
Mower: TBD

Post by Reel_Geek »

@jayhawk What are your concerns with SuperSod? I was likely going to buy my Zeon Zoysia from them this spring to be used at my new house. They have a large presence here in the Raleigh area. However, I am aware of other farms that I could purchase through, if needed. Please advise.
Last edited by Reel_Geek on Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

jonthepain

Post by jonthepain »

I have had good luck purchasing sod from Crystal at the apex siteone.

Reel_Geek
Grass Type: Zeon Zoysia
Lawn Size: 4000 sf
Mower: TBD

Post by Reel_Geek »

@jonthepain Thanks for the feedback. Also, I was bummed to read about your negative experiences with shade and Zeon. The lot that we are building our new home on has (and had) some nice, mature, trees. I just had a bunch of them removed in an effort to allow more sunlight into the side and rear yard. I am hoping it will be enough as I refuse to use lay fescue, and obviously, Bermuda, would be even worse than the Zeon.
Last edited by Reel_Geek on Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

trc
Grass Type: Emerald Zoysia
Lawn Size: 5.5k
Mower: Cal Trimmer 257

Post by trc »

Keyword is that zoysia can tolerate shade but it does not do well in only 5-6 hours sun. The southern most side of my backyard barely barely grows or gets mowed. Be prepared for PGR, preventative fungicide program, low N and higher HOC to look decent. My emerald looks and does better in shade / moisture vs neighbors zeon.

jayhawk
Grass Type: zoysia; tifgrand beauty strip
Lawn Size: Yuuuge 2500
Mower: TruCut

Post by jayhawk »

regarding supersod 1) they will sell you rolls 2) they will sell it before it should be harvested / laid for optimal success (contrast to NG Turf here in my area) 3) they have so many farms you don't know what you'll get (red or loam ?)

rolls, appeal because they are larger...but rolling them up to start is a tight roll and then consider the weight pressing on that. you end up with varying levels of dirt and areas that have no chance of taking off. installers with experience (beyond install) will know to just cut and throw away those areas that won't make it.

This site has several examples of more delicate zoysia that came in rolls and/or was laid early (not green) - asking why does my sod look like sh*t 20 days later or not greening up as it should in may.

I'd check out bladerunner farms @bladerunnerfarms site, they may have map of certified growers that have a little more pride in their product.

i wish i had a drone to provide perspective of the trees and house - my backyard facing east is obviously shaded. zeon is doing fine....although i'm not running a rotary at 3.5" or riding/turning a commercial exmark / toro over/on it either.

i have a sister in law in Rock Hill. may have to take a look when i get up there?
Last edited by jayhawk on Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.