Chris LI's Lawn Journal

Cool season member lawn journals
Chris LI
Grass Type: KBG,TTTF, FF-different mixes
Lawn Size: 5K
Mower: Snapper Hi Vac 21"

Re: Chris LI's Lawn Journal

Post by Chris LI » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:56 am

Edged, trimmed and mulch mowed @ 2.5", yesterday. I finally dropped some granular Bioplex. Since I missed the early July drop, I went light ~0.25 lbs. N per K, to not push too much growth in the peak of the summer. The color isn't where it should be and temps aren't predicted to crack 90* at all during the next week, so I figured that I'm safe. I skipped the side by the RV, since what is green looks pretty good and what is brown, is probably toast. I had been spraying N in the form Southern Ag Kelp Green, so it is definitely getting some N. I sprayed baby shampoo to try to loosen up the soil. I did however, drop some on the hellstrip in that area. I also pounded everything with water.

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF
Lawn Size: 15K
Mower: Toro 22", MTD 21", Fiskars 18"

Post by Green » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:29 pm

I never applied some of my Spring N, either...0.2 lb N from Milorganite out of the total 1 lb N I use each year. Will be applying it next week hopefully. This has a been a very long and drawn out "Spring" fertilization app for some of us!
Front: Northern mix - mostly TTTF, KBG, TTPR. Back: Firecracker and Bullseye TTTF with America, Rugby 2, Bewitched KBG. Upper Side: Mostly TTPR, KBG. Lower Side: similar to front. Low-input: TF/FF, KBG, PR. Always seeding somewhere or fighting Triv.

Chris LI

Post by Chris LI » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:59 pm

Green wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:29 pm
I never applied some of my Spring N, either...0.2 lb N from Milorganite out of the total 1 lb N I use each year. Will be applying it next week hopefully. This has a been a very long and drawn out "Spring" fertilization app for some of us!
:thumbup:
I hate to say that it feels good that someone else is in the same boat, but I look to it as an educational opportunity to compare current observations and results of action or inaction. I like the fact that TLF has grown to be a supportive community (and family, so to speak) with respect to lawn and garden care.

On a separate note, I forgot to include an interesting regional observation. The other day when you received two rounds of rain totalling somewhere around 0.75", I only received 0.03". Hence, me loading up on the watering. Geographically speaking, we're relatively close, and I was tracking lightning strikes/storms for work related purposes and noticed they rolled by north of us, but relatively close, without rain. Go figure.

Today, I watered the section with my Norway maple, where the turf thins out. Between applying extra water, drill and fill technique and some foliar apps of fertilizer, this area is slightly better than past years. I will have to wait until the end of the summer to determine if it would be considered noticeably better.

Chris LI

Post by Chris LI » Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:09 am

I forgot to mention that I applied some Roots HP Bat Guano 0-4-3 by watering can to my vegetables, my wife's new hostas/lavender/mosquito plant bed (next to the deck), and my high traffic Bewitched patch next to the fire pit.

Green

Post by Green » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:41 pm

@Chris LI, how's it going in Lawn-Gyland?
Front: Northern mix - mostly TTTF, KBG, TTPR. Back: Firecracker and Bullseye TTTF with America, Rugby 2, Bewitched KBG. Upper Side: Mostly TTPR, KBG. Lower Side: similar to front. Low-input: TF/FF, KBG, PR. Always seeding somewhere or fighting Triv.

Chris LI

Post by Chris LI » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:28 am

Green wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:41 pm
@Chris LI, how's it going in Lawn-Gyland?
Thank you for asking. We're hanging in there. I fell behind with updates, with spending a lot of time at work. I mulch mowed last Friday at 2.5" after 8 days just to get it done with no trimming, edging or blowing. No additional fertilizer, but I have kept up the watering. Temps dropped a little over the weekend, so the turf is recovering a bit more. However, the worst areas in the front side by the RV are toast, especially on the hellstrip. Weed pressure is very high in that area. The main front which is primarily kbg, is faring much better. The backyard is doing much better with the additional water. The shaded areas aren't thinning out as much as in the past, but the trouble spot under the Norway maple has thinned out almost as bad as in the past. Oh, I had just enough time yesterday to mulch mow just the front. I haven't had much time to check out many journals (including yours) and CS posts, but hope to do so in a couple of days. How are you doing? I will check your thread for details. I hope you're seeing some relief from the summer conditions, too.

Green

Post by Green » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:08 pm

Good to hear. Yeah, it's definitely been cooler the past 2 weeks. It even went down to 59 one or two nights recently.

Still just trying to keep up with mowing and all the other stuff (sounds easier than it is, right?). The low-input area got overgrown at one point, and I side discharged it. Now, 2 more cuts later and there is still a bit of dead grass visible. I happened to watch this video at the same time the whole thing happened: . Still not sure what a "Ginja" is (or if it's his last name or nickname; but he's a member here), but useful and frightening, nonetheless. Also trying to get Milorganite down (that bit I never did in the Spring plus a bit more) and various products sprayed, etc.
Last edited by Green on Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Chris LI

Post by Chris LI » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:20 pm

Green wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:08 pm
Good to hear. Yeah, it's definitely been cooler the past 2 weeks. It even went down to 59 one or two nights recently.

Still not sure what a "Ginja" is (or if it's his last name or nickname; but he's a member here), but useful and frightening, nonetheless. Also trying to get Milorganite down (that bit I never did in the Spring plus a bit more) and various products sprayed, etc.
I'm looking forward to seeing 59* at night, but the ocean keeps us a little warmer than your area. For me, that temperature is the real sign of relief for the lawn and garden.

I think the name "Ginja" is a combo of "ginger" and "ninja". The red beard gives it away.

Definitely get the Milo down! Just make sure you get some water down. I'm seeing greenup and thickening already. We're almost there, with September around the corner.

Chris LI

Post by Chris LI » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:02 pm

Trim, blow, mow @ 2.5" with bag on due to:
1. Many brown leaves
2. Lots of wild grapes I weed whacked which were hanging over a wild cherry at the edge of the property and blocking the path of a sprinkler
3. Lots of poly noses from the Norway maple
4. Stand up turf with recent higher humidity

Watered front heavily (southern exposure) and some in back by Norway maple.

Green

Post by Green » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:19 am

Chris LI wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:20 pm
I think the name "Ginja" is a combo of "ginger" and "ninja". The red beard gives it away.

Definitely get the Milo down! Just make sure you get some water down. I'm seeing greenup and thickening already. We're almost there, with September around the corner.
Omg, I think you're right. I kind of got the ninja part. I don't know why I thought maybe it some Korean word or something. But then I was like, no, can't be. I would have pronounced it "Gin-juh". Sounds more like "ginger" with a Boston or Queens NYC accent the way he says it.

Btw, I actually pronounce "Long Island" as "Lawn-Gyland" in real life. It's sort of like LCN doing his Chicago accent. One of the neighbors (who does the best edging job I've ever seen anywhere) is originally from LI.
Last edited by Green on Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

Chris LI

Post by Chris LI » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:52 am

Green wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:19 am
Btw, I actually pronounce "Long Island" as "Lawn-Gyland" in real life. It's sort of like LCN doing his Chicago accent. One of the neighbors (who does the best edging job I've ever seen anywhere) is originally from LI.
I tried to lose mine in college when I went to school in PA, and did a pretty good job. A lot of folks couldn't figure out where I was from. I know I still have it, but it's not too pronounced, like some folks here. I have fun once in awhile exaggerating it. "How you doin'?" I do find it quite amusing (and a practical teaching tactic) how you use the spelling and phonetics to emulate the proper pronunciation to receive approval from us locals (and us lawn nuts, too). :thumbup:

Green

Post by Green » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:10 am

Yeah. That's like my cousin in reverse. Born and grew up in CT like me, went to school in MA and moved to RI. About 15 years ago, we noticed he talked like a native RI-lander. Seems to be losing that now to an extent even though he still lives there.

Did you by any chance have family originally from Southwestern PA or the area around West Virginia? I was trying to place an accent that you did on here once.

I do speak pretty neutrally/clearly when I want to. But I do have a few versions of CT accent that creep in at times. Then again, CT accents don't deviate all that much from neautral pronunciation in the first place. And I think that comes across in my phrasing when I write, too (less shorthand in general as well).

There was this story I read once where a guy from CT was hitch-hiking in Australia. The person who drove him said, "US, between Boston and NY". Nailed that.

I think most people in the country know this, but it's Cuh-NED-a-kit. I guess it's pronounced like a New-Yorker would. None of this Connect-I-cut nonsense, though that's a great way to remember the spelling, like my 4th-grade teacher taught us...2 men on the top of a telephone pole. One says "You connect, I cut." (Which always throws me that NY's power company is like Conn-Ed while ours is (now) largely Eversource...) Used to be CL&P...just "clip" the lines...
Last edited by Green on Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:31 am, edited 13 times in total.

Chris LI

Post by Chris LI » Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:40 pm

Green wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:10 am
Did you by any chance have family originally from Southwestern PA or the area around West Virginia? I was trying to place an accent that you did on here once.
Not a bad guess. My Dad's family is from SW Virginia with some from over the mountain in WV, and others in NC and TN. My Mom's family is from Brooklyn; interesting combination.

I get my love for the outdoors and everything green mostly from my Dad, although my Mom loved her flowers.

Chris LI

Post by Chris LI » Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:49 pm

Yesterday, I continued spot watering some areas and applied Kelp Green and Essential 1-0-1 to all of the front yard at the labeled rate. Sprayed garlic juice for mosquitoes in the side yard and backyard.

Later in the day, I went over to my friend's house to help him with his lawn. I hadn't been there for awhile, so I spent a lot of time pulling about 5 - 5 gallon pails of crabgrass and goose grass. I noticed one of his irrigation zones was very dry. It turns out he lost the whole zone from his panel. We have some detective work to do. I dropped some 5-3-1 and sprayed some garlic juice in the backyard.

Green

Post by Green » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:11 pm

Chris LI wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:49 pm
Sprayed garlic juice for mosquitoes in the side yard and backyard.
I have to do this...still haven't done the second app, and it wore off weeks ago. Did seem to help, though, about a week after applying swipes to every surface and tree branch I could reach.
Last edited by Green on Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chris LI

Post by Chris LI » Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:20 am

Green wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:11 pm
Chris LI wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:49 pm
Sprayed garlic juice for mosquitoes in the side yard and backyard.
I have to do this...still haven't done the second app, and it wore off weeks ago. Did seem to help, though, about a week after applying swipes to every surface and tree branch I could reach.
It's not a silver bullet, but definitely helps a lot. Mosquitoes don't like the sun and heat, just like we don't. They'll dehydrate just like us. Look for cool, shady places for them to hide during the day. Evergreens in particular, give them great cover. I hit my hemlocks, English ivy, Lily of the valley, Pachysandra, etc. and start with the perimeter of my backyard and work my way in with applying some to my lawn, to get good knock down. The lawn application will wash off with the next irrigation cycle, but it's worth it to spray some on the lawn.

A welcomed thunderstorm just rolled in an my rain gauge is going nuts. 0.27" in about 15 minutes and still going strong.

Chris LI

Post by Chris LI » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:02 am

Rain lasted until about 2:45 am last night with 0.65" total.

Green

Post by Green » Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:07 pm

Chris LI wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:02 am
I think we got 0.05 inch. It was just raining with thunder and lightening now, too (small storm), but again, I don't think it's much. Welcome to Florida...I mean the Northeast. :lol:
Last edited by Green on Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chris LI

Post by Chris LI » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:34 pm

Green wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:07 pm
Chris LI wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:02 am
I think we got 0.05 inch. It was just raining with thunder and lightening now, too (small storm), but again, I don't think it's much. Welcome to Florida...I mean the Northeast. :lol:
I wish we could "schedule" appropriate amounts of rain at appropriate times. I got stuck late at work about 40 minutes today and got stuck in traffic trying to outrun rain on the way home, to have it come down in buckets as I turned onto my street. 0.45" in 15 minutes and now sun and blue skies. My ambitions of a quick mow tonight before the rain never had a chance (Accuweather showed storms arriving around 9 pm tonight, when I checked late morning).

It's not the end of the world for me, but I hope anyone with renos didn't get killed too badly. This week is predicted to have unstable weather patterns with t-storms.

The silver lining is that the lawn is recovering with the recent rain. It looked pretty decent this morning at a quick glance on my way out the door. This also helped knock down soil temps a bit to aid root growth.

Chris LI

Post by Chris LI » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:12 pm

Yesterday, I squeezed in a bag mow @2.5" after work. I decided to bag for a few reasons:

1. Suck up remaining debris that wasn't picked up in the last mow, as well as new debris from recent storms.
2. Stand up grass to reduce flop and matting. This would also help to improve air circulation to reduce the chances of fungus. A more vertical turf stand will also be shorter in length, so when I lower the deck to 2" (which will happen soon), I'll have less chance of violating the 1/3 rule.
3. Suck up weed seeds and remove anything that will reduce seed to soil contact for spot/overseeding.

I applied some liquid kelp/humic/molasses/Essential 1-0-1 by watering can to damaged areas near fire pit, maples, etc.

I also added some liquid kelp/humid to vegetable garden plants by watering can before a t-storm which delivered 0.43" at around 7 pm.