KBG Cultivar origins

Cool season grasses like Kentucky Bluegrass, Fescue & Rye
Post Reply
Green
Posts: 2000
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:27 am
Location: CT (Zone 6B)
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF
Lawn Size: 15K
Mower: OEM 21" (by MTD); Fiskars 18"

KBG Cultivar origins

Post by Green » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:34 am

List of origins of some KBG cultivars:

https://dl.sciencesocieties.org/publica ... ement5.pdf
Front: Northern mix - mostly TTTF, KBG, TTPR. Back: Firecracker and Bullseye TTTF with America, Rugby 2, Bewitched KBG. Upper Side: Mostly TTPR, KBG. Lower Side: similar to front. Low-input: TF/FF, KBG, PR. Always seeding somewhere or fighting Triv.

gm560
Posts: 293
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:02 pm
Location: Westfield, NJ
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 6500 sqft
Mower: Toro Recycler 22 in.

Re: KBG Cultivar origins

Post by gm560 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:22 am

Very cool, thanks. Interesting to see them classify Bewitched as an America type. I have always thought it was considered a Compact type (which appears to not be an option here). I guess these classifications are open to interpretation.
Last edited by gm560 on Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Green
Posts: 2000
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:27 am
Location: CT (Zone 6B)
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF
Lawn Size: 15K
Mower: OEM 21" (by MTD); Fiskars 18"

Re: KBG Cultivar origins

Post by Green » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:31 am

gm560 wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:22 am
Very cool, thanks. Interesting to see them classify Bewitched as an America type. I have always thought it was considered a Compact type (which appears to not be an option here). I guess these classifications are open to interpretation.
I don't think they're classifying as such. I think they're saying one of its parents is an America type. Then again, who knows what it really is genetically, as the heading suggests, right? Maybe they are.
Last edited by Green on Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Front: Northern mix - mostly TTTF, KBG, TTPR. Back: Firecracker and Bullseye TTTF with America, Rugby 2, Bewitched KBG. Upper Side: Mostly TTPR, KBG. Lower Side: similar to front. Low-input: TF/FF, KBG, PR. Always seeding somewhere or fighting Triv.

Chris LI
Posts: 70
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:04 am
Location: Long Island, NY
Grass Type: KBG,TTTF, FF-in different mixe
Lawn Size: 5K
Mower: Snapper Hi Vac 21"

Re: KBG Cultivar origins

Post by Chris LI » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:05 pm

+1 on the original understanding that Bewitched was classified as a Compact. Genetic diversity was part of my decision to go with:

Bewitched - Compact
Mazama - Compact America
Beyond - Compact Midnight

Shade tolerance, genetic color, overall performance (including in my geographic region), disease resistance, and aggressiveness were the other major considerations.

User avatar
craigdt
Posts: 191
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:55 pm
Location: Kansas
Grass Type: Fescue
Lawn Size: 10000
Mower: Ferris IS600z

Re: KBG Cultivar origins

Post by craigdt » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:50 pm

Man, I hear a lot about Bewitched on the forums here. Must be great stuff!

I did see Geisha on that list- If I remember right, that's one of the cultivars in my KBG mix, BlueWave from GrassPad in Kansas City.
Generic Tenacity Marketplace : $24/4oz, $35/8oz, $54/16oz

Fungus Fighters: Propiconazole 41.8 in Marketplace : $25/8oz, $38/16oz

Cool Season Lawn Guide, via g-man

Green
Posts: 2000
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:27 am
Location: CT (Zone 6B)
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF
Lawn Size: 15K
Mower: OEM 21" (by MTD); Fiskars 18"

Re: KBG Cultivar origins

Post by Green » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:21 am

Chris LI wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:05 pm
+1 on the original understanding that Bewitched was classified as a Compact. Genetic diversity was part of my decision to go with:

Bewitched - Compact
Mazama - Compact America
Beyond - Compact Midnight
Same here. Bewitched, America, and Rugby II for the same diversity. I think we're good. In my case, America is drastically different from Bewitched. In yours, Mazama is part America type and Midnight type. That said, I've found my blend to be quite rust-prone for some reason.
Last edited by Green on Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
Front: Northern mix - mostly TTTF, KBG, TTPR. Back: Firecracker and Bullseye TTTF with America, Rugby 2, Bewitched KBG. Upper Side: Mostly TTPR, KBG. Lower Side: similar to front. Low-input: TF/FF, KBG, PR. Always seeding somewhere or fighting Triv.

Chris LI
Posts: 70
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:04 am
Location: Long Island, NY
Grass Type: KBG,TTTF, FF-in different mixe
Lawn Size: 5K
Mower: Snapper Hi Vac 21"

Re: KBG Cultivar origins

Post by Chris LI » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:19 pm

Green wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:21 am
Chris LI wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:05 pm
+1 on the original understanding that Bewitched was classified as a Compact. Genetic diversity was part of my decision to go with:

Bewitched - Compact
Mazama - Compact America
Beyond - Compact Midnight
Same here. Bewitched, America, and Rugby II for the same diversity. I think we're good. In my case, America is drastically different from Bewitched. In yours, Mazama is part America type and Midnight type. That said, I've found my blend to be quite rust-prone for some reason.
I really would like to find the time to take a section of the yard to commit to a reno at the end of the summer, but work is typically still nuts for me at that time of year. We'll see.

Post Reply