Calcium to Magnesium ratio

Cool season grasses like Kentucky Bluegrass, Fescue & Rye
Post Reply
O_Poole
Posts: 82
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:13 am
Location: Salisbury NC
Grass Type: Tall Fescue
Lawn Size: 136,000 sf
Mower: Ferris IS3100Z 61" cut
Contact:

Calcium to Magnesium ratio

Post by O_Poole » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:42 am

I was told the idea Ca/Mg ratio is 6.1.. Soil test show my place to be low ratio of 3.4 so I did a gypsum app 7-28-2018 will be taking another soil test soon to see results! Hope for a better ratio

Last edited by O_Poole on Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Scagfreedom48z+
Posts: 475
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:12 pm
Location: Massachusetts
Grass Type: Cool season
Lawn Size: 30,000
Mower: Scag 48” Freedom z

Re: Calcium to Magnesium ratio

Post by Scagfreedom48z+ » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:27 pm

O_Poole wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:42 am
I was told the idea Ca/Mg ratio is 6.1.. Soil test show my place to be low ratio of 3.4 so I did a gypsum app 7-28-2018 will be taking another soil test soon to see results! Hope for a better ratio

Nice video. I can see you used the hybrix fert. How do you think that would compare to say the new carbonx? I’ve entertained the thought of hybrix but I don’t have a close vendor(2 hrs and would need to rent a truck) and with 30k sq feet, it’s pretty pricey given that 1 bag of carbonx can cover 20k vs hybrix that would probably cover the same with 3-4 bags
Last edited by Scagfreedom48z+ on Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

O_Poole
Posts: 82
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:13 am
Location: Salisbury NC
Grass Type: Tall Fescue
Lawn Size: 136,000 sf
Mower: Ferris IS3100Z 61" cut
Contact:

Re: Calcium to Magnesium ratio

Post by O_Poole » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:13 pm

I was really impressed with the HyR Brix's 10-9-10.. HyR Brix fertilizer is the complete package of nutrients with N-P-K..

Carbon X 24-0-4 is going to be great fertilizer I don't think it's a complete package.. No -P- very little -K no calcium but it does have it's place in turf like AMS.. I do plan to try some in 2019 to see how it works!

User avatar
Suburban Jungle Life
Posts: 1332
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:34 pm
Location: MD/DMV
Grass Type: TTTF, FF, Zoysia
Lawn Size: 10k
Mower: Spinning Machete
Contact:

Re: Calcium to Magnesium ratio

Post by Suburban Jungle Life » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:27 am

O_Poole wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:13 pm
I was really impressed with the HyR Brix's 10-9-10.. HyR Brix fertilizer is the complete package of nutrients with N-P-K..

Carbon X 24-0-4 is going to be great fertilizer I don't think it's a complete package.. No -P- very little -K no calcium but it does have it's place in turf like AMS.. I do plan to try some in 2019 to see how it works!
Well, many places have P bans. Also, P moves slowly through the soil profile and if you mulch, most of it stays there. The most deficient would be N as that moves quickly through soil. Perhaps some additional K can be supplemented periodically. Personally, I like the idea of separating NPK so you can apply whichever you need and not be stuck with overdoing P if you mostly just need N.

O_Poole
Posts: 82
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:13 am
Location: Salisbury NC
Grass Type: Tall Fescue
Lawn Size: 136,000 sf
Mower: Ferris IS3100Z 61" cut
Contact:

Re: Calcium to Magnesium ratio

Post by O_Poole » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:33 am

Suburban Jungle Life wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:27 am
O_Poole wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:13 pm
I was really impressed with the HyR Brix's 10-9-10.. HyR Brix fertilizer is the complete package of nutrients with N-P-K..

Carbon X 24-0-4 is going to be great fertilizer I don't think it's a complete package.. No -P- very little -K no calcium but it does have it's place in turf like AMS.. I do plan to try some in 2019 to see how it works!
Well, many places have P bans. Also, P moves slowly through the soil profile and if you mulch, most of it stays there. The most deficient would be N as that moves quickly through soil. Perhaps some additional K can be supplemented periodically. Personally, I like the idea of separating NPK so you can apply whichever you need and not be stuck with overdoing P if you mostly just need N.
Very true sir! I do plan to give the Carbon a try in 2019.. Thanks
Last edited by O_Poole on Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ridgerunner
Posts: 1161
Joined: Tue May 16, 2017 4:35 pm
Location: E. Ohio
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 6500
Mower: Steiner 420, Honda

Re: Calcium to Magnesium ratio

Post by Ridgerunner » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:42 pm

How much Calcium did you calculate that you will need to apply per thousand square feet to reach your goal?

O_Poole
Posts: 82
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:13 am
Location: Salisbury NC
Grass Type: Tall Fescue
Lawn Size: 136,000 sf
Mower: Ferris IS3100Z 61" cut
Contact:

Re: Calcium to Magnesium ratio

Post by O_Poole » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:34 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:42 pm
How much Calcium did you calculate that you will need to apply per thousand square feet to reach your goal?


I will have to find my notes.. I have put out 20 bags of gypsum and once it drys up will apply 20 more

Ridgerunner
Posts: 1161
Joined: Tue May 16, 2017 4:35 pm
Location: E. Ohio
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 6500
Mower: Steiner 420, Honda

Re: Calcium to Magnesium ratio

Post by Ridgerunner » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:55 pm

Ok, Just inquisitive.

O_Poole
Posts: 82
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:13 am
Location: Salisbury NC
Grass Type: Tall Fescue
Lawn Size: 136,000 sf
Mower: Ferris IS3100Z 61" cut
Contact:

Re: Calcium to Magnesium ratio

Post by O_Poole » Sun May 12, 2019 8:01 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:42 pm
How much Calcium did you calculate that you will need to apply per thousand square feet to reach your goal?
Sorry @Ridgerunner I used 56 50lb bags on all 3 acres..

Post Reply