Renovation Seed Selection

Cool season grasses like Kentucky Bluegrass, Fescue & Rye
Wolverine
Grass Type: KBG/PRG
Lawn Size: 16k
Mower: 2015 John Deere X300

Renovation Seed Selection

Post by Wolverine » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:02 am

Planning a summer renovation (16K lawn) and i am torn on seed selection. I want a 100% bluegrass lawn, but with mild Poa problems, is it ideal to mix in some PRG and/or Fine Fescue until Bluegrass gets established? I am thinking about the following cultivars:

Mazama
Bewitched
Award

Grand Slam GLD-PRG if needed
Radar-Fine Fescue if needed

I am on the West Side of lower Michigan. Lawn is 90% sun and i have irrigation. I also have all the chemical tools available if necessary.

SNOWBOB11
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Bewitched front, NoMix back
Lawn Size: 3500
Mower: JD 220E, Yard Machines

Re: Renovation Seed Selection

Post by SNOWBOB11 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:25 am

With a 90% sun lawn you’d probably want to avoid FF. If you want to mix in another grass type then p rye would be a better choice. The KBG cultivars you are looking at are all good choices. One option would be to do 100% KBG, see if you like it, then overseed if you so choose to fill in any thin areas. Having said that with a lawn that gets almost full sun the KBG will be able to fill in itself.

Tenacity would be your friend when seeding to deal with your poa a problems.
Last edited by SNOWBOB11 on Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

iowa jim
Grass Type: Midnight, Bewitched, Mazama
Lawn Size: 12,000 s/f
Mower: john deere x370

Post by iowa jim » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:10 pm

What snowbob said was my plan last August, when i planted midnight, mazama and bewitched. I used scotts starter with mesotrione and that really helped with weeds. As of right now i have no need to seed anymore than what i had put down at 2.5 lbs per k. I also have more shade than you with large cottonwoods lining my property. Midnight and award are very similar and the color match is perfect although bewitched started out a little bit lighter, it caught up by October, I had to reseed some areas due to some washouts but have very good coverage for a young lawn. If your interested you can look up my reno with pics.

Wolverine
Grass Type: KBG/PRG
Lawn Size: 16k
Mower: 2015 John Deere X300

Post by Wolverine » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:31 pm

Thanks guys for the replies. I am leaning 100% kbg at the moment, just need to get it sourced. Seems like the only place that has all 3 are SSS, but they are expensive.

Chris LI
Grass Type: KBG,TTTF, FF-different mixes
Lawn Size: 5K
Mower: Snapper Hi Vac 21"

Post by Chris LI » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:27 pm

+1 on the reasons for all kbg mentioned above. It may also benefit you with better uniformity.

iowa jim
Grass Type: Midnight, Bewitched, Mazama
Lawn Size: 12,000 s/f
Mower: john deere x370

Post by iowa jim » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:33 pm

Wolverine wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:31 pm
Thanks guys for the replies. I am leaning 100% kbg at the moment, just need to get it sourced. Seems like the only place that has all 3 are SSS, but they are expensive.
For mazama cdford and sons had a good price on it last year, so may be worth checking out. I also heard that bewitched might be of short supply this year so keep that in mind. Try to keep weed seed and other crop to 0 when buying seed.