Legz
Grass Type: Fescue
Lawn Size: 6000
Mower: Honda (Push)

Legz's Lawn Journal

Post by Legz » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:43 pm

Hello Everyone,

My name is Legz, I am new to TLF and I am being dominated :oops:

My wife and I moved into our house last summer, first time homeowners and lawn caregivers so I have a lot to learn. I found LCN over the winter and have been studying his videos and was happy to recently find this forum/community to be able to dig into further detail as I learn. Do to my ignorance I unfortunately missed the window in the Fall to seed so I am having to begin my restoration plan with this Spring. In the Fall, the lawn was covered with crabgrass (I didn't even know what crabgrass was at that time)which spurred my desire for a healthier lawn. I sprayed some Post-Emergent late Fall but didn't make it any further than that. The hurricanes and heavy amounts of rain quickly began to fall and didn't seem to let up until only within the last few weeks. Much of the yard in the photo above has been completely saturated with water (poor drainage) until the warm spell we had last week.

Here is a walk around my house to show you what I am working with:

Lots of moss built up over the last few months, runs all the way down past the A/C unit:

More moss along the back of the house as well:

Front left side of house, more moss in front of the bushes by the front door. And more poor drainage in the top middle of the photo headed towards the side of the house:

Not much growing in the front:

Or along the left side:

Friendly neighbor tried to help with my weed problem with a non-chemical solution :evil: :

And then back to the back yard:

So there it is. I have no real gauge of how bad/salvageable the yard is so figured I would use this year as a learning year, do what I can to improve the lawn and see how things look next Spring and go from there. Here is what I have been up to so far in 2019:
- I have sprayed moss killer and raked up most of what I could around the house. There is definitely still spots of moss around but with there being so much it is difficult to get it all but will continue to work on it.
-Sprayed Ortho weed-killer around the yard. Henbit started popping up everywhere so wanted to spray it before it began to flower along with the other weeds around the yard that I am working to identify.
-Weather temps got very warm last week so that pushed my plans to put down pre-emergent a month earlier than I had originally planned. But thanks to g-man, I got it figured out and applied the first half of the split rate this afternoon. Rain expected the next few days to soak it in.
-I pulled my soil samples on Friday and will take them in for testing on Monday, though there is currently a 6-week wait time for results.

Looking to the future, unless anyone anything to add, I think I'm on pause for anything major to my yard for a couple months. Current plan:
- Continue to stay on top of moss/weed removal
- Fill in tire tracks
- When weather warms back up begin work on improving the landscaping
- Wait for soil results and review for probable lime application
- Another user recommended reading up on Fungicides in my region, so going researching that.
- I did find 2 grubs when raking up the moss, so research grub control further
- Put down an application of Milo in late April
- Apply the second half of PreM application in May
- Finish up plans for Summer goals

Looking forward to getting this lawn under control. Thanks for any input/advice anyone is willing to give!

Chris LI
Grass Type: KBG,TTTF, FF-different mixes
Lawn Size: 5K
Mower: Snapper Hi Vac 21"

Re: Legz's Lawn Journal

Post by Chris LI » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:06 pm

Legz wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:43 pm
Hello Everyone,

My name is Legz, I am new to TLF and I am being dominated :oops:
Not for long! Welcome to TLF! Give it a season, and you will see a big improvement.

FYI-If you want to take the domination line back, invest in a drop spreader. IMHO, it's better than an Edge Guard type spreader, since it drops from a lower height and less subject to wind. I run all my perimeters with one and like it for seed spreading, too. Good luck!

Legz

Post by Legz » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:52 am

Thanks, Chris! Good to know on the drop spreader. Not that I expected much, but I quickly realized how cheap my $35 Scott's spreader was. But hopefully it did a good enough job with the PreM.

Legz

Post by Legz » Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:00 am

Soil samples arrived the other day, wasn't expecting them for a couple more weeks so it was nice for them to arrive before March. I created with a post to discuss the results here.

Not much activity on the lawn recently. Weather has cooled off staying around the 50s during the day and 40s at night. There has been ran nearly everyday for the last week which has resulted in nearly 4.5 inches of rain. Tomorrow will be nice but after that we have a bit of a cold spell ahead for the next 10 days with evening temps getting into the low 30s. Rain is expected to continue for the foreseeable future.

Legz

Post by Legz » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:03 pm

Had some nice weather over the weekend so had a chance to fill in the tire tracks. Cleaned out the leaves and debris and the original plan was to scalp the high parts of the track marks along the side and mix them in a bucket with top soil and then fill it in with that mixture, but that proved to be more difficult than I anticipated. So I ended up just filling it most of the way with top soil, packing it in with a shovel and then just pulling the high parts from the tracks over to cover it up and then packing it again. Hopefully it holds up with the upcoming rainfall.

Legz

Post by Legz » Wed May 01, 2019 1:06 am

I've decided to commit to a fall reno so I'm currently just in educate, plan and wait mode. Hoping to have my plan of attack ready soon. Since my last post I've put down my first application of lime at the beginning of April and will put down the 2nd and final application for the year per the bag rate soon. I'm planning to put down a little bit of starter fert soon as well to help get P & K up in preparation for the seeding since they were low in my soil test. After evading my traps for a few weeks I also managed to rid the lawn of a pesky mole that was wreaking havoc throughout the yard.

In the meantime I have moved my attention to landscaping. None of the mulch areas had any type of barrier from the lawn so there is quite a bit of mulch that washes into the lawn with heavy wind/rain. I prefer the look of natural edging, but given some of the areas I didn't think it would work well in some places so I opted to go with plastic edging. Here are some before and after photos of what I have been able to get to so far, looking forward to seeing it next to some healthy turf: