Share your Amazon Prime Day finds here!

Lawn Care business side job to become full time (help)

Warm season grasses like Bermuda, Zoysia, St. Augustine, Centipede & Paspalum
Confederate Lawn
Grass Type: Centipede/Carpetgrass/ St. Aug
Lawn Size: just shy of 1 acre
Mower: Deere D105 (riding 42")

Lawn Care business side job to become full time (help)

Post by Confederate Lawn » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:23 am

Hey y'all! I have been trying to pick some brains and gather some info to get started with a side lawn care business. I know I need a trailer and a hitch to haul my gear but what are the first 5 things to do to get started? I already have all the gear (other than trailer and hitch) and a little money to invest. What would my timeline look like? develop a name? start a website? I was seriously considering making a youtube channel to track and present my journey and things I'm learning along the way. If you have some advice or tips to help me get going in the right direction, please let me know! I'm all ears! you may even get a shout out on my youtube channel :thumbup:
Confederate Lawn's Journal
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=7908

dfw_pilot
Site Admin
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 5,000 ft²
Mower: Toro GM1000

Re: Lawn care business start up (help)

Post by dfw_pilot » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:31 am

I'm not in the lawn care business, but I'm a big fan of buying a domain, preferably with a .com tld.

It sets up brand protection, provides legitimacy, gives you an avenue to control the information out there about you, looks more professional, can be used in-lieu of business cards, and can take online payments. With WordPress and a domain registration, setup is easy and costs are very affordable. It's low hanging fruit, imo.

Best of luck!

ETA: As an example:
Last edited by dfw_pilot on Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Bermuda Triangle | Sprayer Wand | Invest for Retirement | PWS
- A clear conscience is a great pillow -

Ware
Site Admin
Lawn Size: 7,500 sq ft
Mower: Toro GM1600

Re: Lawn care business start up (help)

Post by Ware » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:51 am

All great ideas, and don't forget about a social media presence. I don't use it much, but I think it is a necessity for a business these days.

Ware
Site Admin
Lawn Size: 7,500 sq ft

Re: Lawn Care business side job to become full time (help)

Post by Ware » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:54 am

Merging these duplicate topics. In the future please just ask a moderator to move your topic.

osuturfman
Grass Type: TTTF, KBG, PR
Lawn Size: 291 acres
Mower: Many

Post by osuturfman » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:29 am

1.) Business structure (LLC, Sole Proprietor, etc) setup and filed with your state/municipality.
2.) General Liability and Business insurance setup. Also, if you plan to apply pesticides or fertilizer, get licensed and insured for this.
3.) Hire accountant to get on same page with bookkeeping practices and tax planning advice.
4.) Research and understand your market. Pricing, who's good, who's not, what niche you can be most profitable in, and going after customers who pay their bills. Find a way to be different instead of getting into pricing wars with your competition.
5.) Autograph your work with excellence and showcase it through website, social media, and referrals.

Best of luck!

Stark
Grass Type: Bermuda 419
Lawn Size: 2,000
Mower: N/A

Post by Stark » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:06 am

The YouTube channel idea is good but you have to really put in the time for it and keep it going. A social media presence like Ware says is a necessity! Creating an instagram/facebook page and doing a give-a-way of a month of free lawn cuts/upkeeps (just an example)for people who follow/share you is a good way to seriously spread your name around. Make sure you create a logo/brand that goes on everything you have from trailer/truck to shirts and hats, even give away shirts to kids on the properties you are taking care of to really spread your name (yard signs as well “this lawn taken care of by [insert your name]) A website is nice but having everything on instagram/facebook is easier to access nowadays. It will get to the point where people will want your brand (meaning name) more than just a jo-schmo cutting their yard. (Depending on how big yiur area you live in is).

Confederate Lawn

Post by Confederate Lawn » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:01 pm

Ware wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:54 am
Merging these duplicate topics. In the future please just ask a moderator to move your topic.
10-4 I apologize for that. been a while since I have been on the site. Thanks for the heads up

Confederate Lawn

Post by Confederate Lawn » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:06 pm

Thank you everyone for all of your insight and input. Everything sounds logical and y'all have some really great idea's. I'll get starting on getting some of these things in motion. quick question tho... I was planning on doing a weed killer/fert program also, but do I need any special training to get licensed and insured?

J_nick
Grass Type: Riviera Bermuda
Lawn Size: 1 acre
Mower: 220B

Post by J_nick » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:21 pm

Depends on your state. I know in Oklahoma you have to have an applicators license to put out any chemical granular or liquid on someone’s property.

LakeMaryLawn
Grass Type: St Augustine
Lawn Size: 3000
Mower: Ryobi 40v

Post by LakeMaryLawn » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:40 am

Facebook advertising is incredibly cheap. And most importantly, their targeting is amazing. You can literally put in enough parameters to target one person. But practically for a lawn business, I think you can target homeowners, salaray range, and basically draw a circle around your target area.

adgattoni
Grass Type: Tifway 419
Lawn Size: 16000
Mower: Greensmaster Flex 21

Post by adgattoni » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:53 am

Confederate Lawn wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:06 pm
Thank you everyone for all of your insight and input. Everything sounds logical and y'all have some really great idea's. I'll get starting on getting some of these things in motion. quick question tho... I was planning on doing a weed killer/fert program also, but do I need any special training to get licensed and insured?
https://www.clemson.edu/public/regulato ... egulation/

SCGrassMan
Grass Type: Zeon Zoysia
Lawn Size: 3000

Post by SCGrassMan » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:55 am

Yeah in S.C. you gotta talk to Clemson to get scheduled for the pesticide applicator exam, and you also need business insurance that covers pesticide spraying to do so.

The exam is two parts, General, and then turf application. Clemson has the books. They’re about $16 each if memory serves.
2019 Lawn Journal:
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=7338

Confederate Lawn

Post by Confederate Lawn » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:50 am

Thanks y'all !!! I had a thought the other day about advertising... So lets say I do a video on the progression and state of my own lawn. I buy Spectricide weed killer with atrazine (just a big box store example) and apply and track results. would this be OK? would I get hit with some sort of copyright complaint? I would think that these companies would be happy to let me do reviews on their products right? Would I need permission? and who would I talk to? Bare with me, as I am trying to get a grasp on how to market myself and earn a little profit. My fist video is going to be about how bad my front yard is at home. Its literally all weeds. Everyone else with grass has a brown yard. Mine is all green with a few brown patches. I think it would be beneficial for others to see my journey with trial and error on getting my lawn back in order for summer (warm season lawn). any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

adgattoni
Grass Type: Tifway 419
Lawn Size: 16000
Mower: Greensmaster Flex 21

Post by adgattoni » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:29 am

Confederate Lawn wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:50 am
Thanks y'all !!! I had a thought the other day about advertising... So lets say I do a video on the progression and state of my own lawn. I buy Spectricide weed killer with atrazine (just a big box store example) and apply and track results. would this be OK? would I get hit with some sort of copyright complaint? I would think that these companies would be happy to let me do reviews on their products right? Would I need permission? and who would I talk to? Bare with me, as I am trying to get a grasp on how to market myself and earn a little profit. My fist video is going to be about how bad my front yard is at home. Its literally all weeds. Everyone else with grass has a brown yard. Mine is all green with a few brown patches. I think it would be beneficial for others to see my journey with trial and error on getting my lawn back in order for summer (warm season lawn). any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I think for a small, service-oriented business, it would be difficult to attract customers with YouTube as your marketing platform. You're relying on someone from your specific area to locate your business channel out of thousands of other channels. And to be candid, I'm not sure if they will want to hire someone who's just recently learned lawncare through trial and error. I think that might cause them to find someone else who has been in the business a while and can diagnose their specific issues without needing to experiment to find the solution.

Certainly can work (e.g., Finish Carpentry TV), but unless you're simultaneously very good with YouTube and the trade, seems far fetched and not worth the time/effort/money.

Confederate Lawn

Post by Confederate Lawn » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:08 am

adgattoni wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:29 am

I think for a small, service-oriented business, it would be difficult to attract customers with YouTube as your marketing platform. You're relying on someone from your specific area to locate your business channel out of thousands of other channels. And to be candid, I'm not sure if they will want to hire someone who's just recently learned lawncare through trial and error. I think that might cause them to find someone else who has been in the business a while and can diagnose their specific issues without needing to experiment to find the solution.

Certainly can work (e.g., Finish Carpentry TV), but unless you're simultaneously very good with YouTube and the trade, seems far fetched and not worth the time/effort/money.
You have a great point! I didn't even think about that. I have done a good amount of research on horticulture and botany but I am no expert. I do have a ton of skilled trades under my belt but I don't enjoy doing them full time. I had a flooring demo and install business a long time ago and made most of my money grinding and leveling slabs. That type of work is too hard on my body these days tho. I have been doing neighbors yards for years and their lawns look better than mine. Do you suggest I bring a little more research and knowledge into my video's instead of a "trial and error" type approach? I have a pretty good idea of what works and what doesn't and I really like what some of these lawn care youtubers do. I'd like to do something a little different as far as the content goes. I think my biggest obstacle is getting the hang of weed and bug prevention. Seems like the best way to get a grasp on that is by doing it myself. These next couple of months will be telling how effective I am at addressing those issues. Thanks for your input!

Confederate Lawn

Post by Confederate Lawn » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:20 am

Also another thought as far as using products.... Would solely be for the purpose of reviewing how well big box store products work. We all know how well the Celsius, Prodiamine, etc... type stuff works but I don't see much about big box store products except from the company that makes it... and of course their content is biased.