Mosquito Backpack Fogger

Mowers, blowers & other important tools of the trade
LouisvilleGrubber
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 10000 SF
Mower: Toro TimeMaster

Mosquito Backpack Fogger

Post by LouisvilleGrubber » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:59 pm

Who has one? I currently spend about $800 a year on a pro service. I have an outdoor kitchen/fire pit that gets nightly use so it worth it. But the cost has been going up and the effectiveness down. I’m tempted to buy my own $300 Amazon sourced sprayer and give it a go. Anyone have experience with these? I’m thinking I need to rotate pesticides maybe? Haven’t had a chance to spend a lot of time on the Google yet. Guidance appreciated.

ram82
Grass Type: bermuda-fescue mix
Lawn Size: 4000
Mower: Honda hrx

Re: Mosquito Backpack Fogger

Post by ram82 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:29 pm

on Amazon there is a Petra plug in spray mister.i dont know how to put links up as i am technology defficient.but if you look up there website its a little cheaper than Amazon.189$ on Amazon.once again called Petra.good luck on saving money by doing it on your own.

Miggity
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 13,250
Mower: Honda HRX 217

Post by Miggity » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:51 pm

@silvercymbal has one and a YouTube video of it in use. I tried a handheld propane fogger from Black Flag but found better control with bifenthrin and a battery power sprayer. No backpack fogging experience though as I don't treat my wooded area as it is less used than the yard.

g-man
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 5678
Mower: John Deere 220E

Post by g-man » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:18 am

I've been using demand Cs for a while. It is cheap and easy to apply. It takes cares of mosquitos very good. I apply it using a 1g tank sprayer to get the walls, chairs and shrubs with it.

I just don't see how a fogger works long term.

This thread has good recent info. viewtopic.php?t=7473

And this is the diy thread: viewtopic.php?t=6476

x Wild Bill x
Grass Type: NoMix
Lawn Size: 18,500ft2
Mower: Bradley 52" Compact Stander

Post by x Wild Bill x » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:50 pm

Last year we purchased the Invatech Italia 868 Mist Duster backpack blower for my dad.

https://www.misterduster.com/mistblower ... _p/868.htm

He uses it to spray the natural garlic based mosquito and tick repellent at his house, my house and a friends house. He has limited hours on it, used it to apply 4 sets of applications, maybe 4-5 hours so far. The machine works very well, starts right up and easily carries product 40+ feet. Biggest complaint is it is noisy, but with ear protection that is a non-issue. Buying the blower and concentrate for his yard alone last year was less than he would have spent with a local company. Is the machine as well built as a Stihl or my Husqvarna 570BTS? No, but it is certainly built well enough for a homeowner to use for a very long time. I would recommend it to anyone who wants to use it for personal use. One nice feature of the blower is it pressurizes the tank so you get a consistent product output.

Before the purchase I emailed the misterduster website with some questions. They replied very quickly and answered all of my questions, even sending me a .pdf of the owners manual before I purchased.

As for the garlic mosquito spray, all of the treated yards had very low tick population. I wouldn't say 0 ticks, but probably a 95% reduction in ticks found on our dog which was very good. At my parents house they had pretty much 0 mosquitos. My yard and our neighbors yard had a noticeable decrease in mosquitos, however they were still bad enough that we applied Bifin I/T and that took care of the problem.

mowww
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: KBG/TTTF/Rye
Lawn Size: 5,500
Mower: Swardman & Exmark 30

Post by mowww » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:01 pm

I have a Stihl SR 450 that I have used for 2 seasons. The key to mosquito control is getting product where the mosquitos harbor... the underside of the leaf. Using a sprayer without additional air movement is a waste of money when it comes to mosquito control in my opinion. Putting the product on with the mist blower covers both sides of the leaf and the underside has added residual control due to the fact that it is protected to some degree from UV.

The blower will pay for itself if you are paying $800/annually. Talstar 3 ft up and 3 ft out on your home plus spraying for mosquitos etc in the foliage will help quite a bit if you run a 30-45 day schedule. I have been using Fendona CS for family members who I do not visit all that often and they are seeing 2 months+ of mosquito control after I leave which is a big plus. Occasionally I will add Essentria IC3 for additional repellency - smells like rootbeer.

As far as spray accuracy, I have used it for Primo Maxx apps on the lawn and it has given me very even applications, I was pleasantly surprised - but my arm was tired from rapid swinging side-to-side.

Let me know if you have any specific questions about the mister's use.
Last edited by mowww on Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

gene_stl
Grass Type: Cool Season Mostly unknown KBG
Lawn Size: 59,000 square feet.
Mower: Hustler Raptor 54 FlipUp

Post by gene_stl » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:26 pm

LouisvilleGrubber
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 10000 SF
Mower: Toro TimeMaster

Post by LouisvilleGrubber » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:21 am

Thanks for the advice on this subject. I’ve been watching videos, reading the suggested links and overthinking in general. Just what I was trying to avoid. 😂

I’ll post my decision and a review of the process.