Now accepting nominations for April LOTM!

stunted grass growth along concrete border

Cool season grasses like Kentucky Bluegrass, Fescue & Rye
tedaut
Grass Type: Tall fescue
Lawn Size: 1500 square feet
Mower: lawn boy push mower

stunted grass growth along concrete border

Post by tedaut » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:43 pm

I newly seeded my lawn last spring with scotts Tall fescue seed . Ive had this issue where the grass along parts of my concrete border does not grow past two inches and has always been thin compared to the rest of the yard . Ive tried digging out sections the size of a shovel full to check out the dirt and roots underneath . I did have some tree roots growing under neath the lawn but I took those out last year . I also dug a 12 inch deep trench around the outside of the concrete border to remove the larger sections of tree roots that were going around the border . Ive tried over seeding the areas but it will not grow or thicken up . I just fertilized the lawn for the first time this year along with applying some humic and kelp liquid mix . Any idea ? Micronutirent deficiency ?

Chris LI
Grass Type: KBG,TTTF, FF-different mixes
Lawn Size: 5K
Mower: Snapper Hi Vac 21"

Re: stunted grass growth along concrete border

Post by Chris LI » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:44 pm

It could be a combination of things, as you suggest. The heat from the concrete doesn't help and it may be acting as a sponge and pulling moisture away from the turf. Try extra hand watering on that edge. Also, make sure you use a drop spreader or a spreader with an edge guard, to make sure you apply enough fertilizer along the edge. I constantly apply a little more fertilizer to weak areas to boost them in order to "even out the green".

tedaut
Grass Type: Tall fescue
Lawn Size: 1500 square feet
Mower: lawn boy push mower

Re: stunted grass growth along concrete border

Post by tedaut » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:21 am

Chris LI wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:44 pm
It could be a combination of things, as you suggest. The heat from the concrete doesn't help and it may be acting as a sponge and pulling moisture away from the turf. Try extra hand watering on that edge. Also, make sure you use a drop spreader or a spreader with an edge guard, to make sure you apply enough fertilizer along the edge. I constantly apply a little more fertilizer to weak areas to boost them in order to "even out the green".
Thank you for the reply . Its just now hitting the upper 60's to low 70s where im at near sacramento california this past week . We are still drying out from all the rain we got the last couple of weeks . The ground still has a lot of water in it . I usually do have to hand water these edge areas during the summer months because they are the first areas to start to wilt . Ill don't have an edge gaurd on my hand spreader that I use . I do a sideways pass along the border for my first pass to make sure the edges get hit with fertilizer and the humic acid from my hose end sprayer . I think Ill try a dose of some micro nutrients next .
Last edited by tedaut on Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.