Congrats to the winners of the TLF Spring 2019/4,000 Member Giveway!

TrueGreen + Milorganite?

Cool season grasses like Kentucky Bluegrass, Fescue & Rye
JoeyDonatelli
Grass Type: Blue grass / Fescue
Lawn Size: 8500 SqFt
Mower: Toro - Personal Pace 22'

TrueGreen + Milorganite?

Post by JoeyDonatelli » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:06 am

OK so I know this may sound crazy/stupid but, I want to know if I can throw down some Milorganite in addition to what TrueGreen is doing?

I got a killer deal for TrueGreen this year and so I went ahead and signed up for a full lawn program. The problem is that my lawn is not greening up like I want it to!

Go easy on me I'm a nub!! ;)

Thanks for the help,

Joey D.

g-man
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 5678
Mower: John Deere 220E

Re: TrueGreen + Milorganite?

Post by g-man » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:42 am

I think you should ask them so you don't apply too much nitrogen. Also, if you don't like their results, ask them to come and check it out with you, after all you are paying for their service and you are not satisfied.

jdc_lawnguy
Grass Type: KGB, TTTF, Rye
Lawn Size: ~13K
Mower: Deere D130

Post by jdc_lawnguy » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:31 am

To expand on what @g-man said, Trugreen is managing your lawn and your N. They are operating under the assumption you are not adding anything on top of what they are doing. Their N applications are based on this assumption.

Throwing down additional N without their knowledge will throw their plan out of whack and potentially leading to excess N being available. This could lead to issues like excess growth or potentially exposing you to excess weed growth or even fungus if the conditions are right.

If you are unhappy with the results, call them back and walk the yard highlighting your concerns.

Talk to them about what they perceive to the root cause and if the solution is covered by the services you have purchased.

For example if your root cause is a soil deficiency like low Ph or lack or K or something else, it is likely not covered by the service you bought. When I used TruGreen they were always looking for extra for lime and additional K or P apps.

Usually these costs where really high lime (~$300) and additional K (~$175) or P (~$150) apps. That is ultimately what started me on the journey that led me here.

My suggestion is to talk to them about the needs and determine if it is something you want to do. Note, you don’t have to pay them for the service. They will provide recommendations and will likely provide soil test results to back up their recommendations. You can always post your soil tests here for thoughts.

JoeyDonatelli
Grass Type: Blue grass / Fescue
Lawn Size: 8500 SqFt
Mower: Toro - Personal Pace 22'

Post by JoeyDonatelli » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:38 pm

Thanks guys. I had a tech out to the house this week with the expectation that they would be fertilizing and all he did was spray for weeds.

I had no idea that TG would do a soil test. That is going to be my next request.

jdc_lawnguy
Grass Type: KGB, TTTF, Rye
Lawn Size: ~13K
Mower: Deere D130

Post by jdc_lawnguy » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:53 pm

When I signed up years ago it was part of the offer if I remember correctly.

Something like $49.99 for soil test and first app. $XX each additional app, but in my case the soil test was a way to open the door for additional service.