Warm season grasses like Bermuda, Zoysia, St. Augustine, Centipede & Paspalum
canooten
Grass Type: none!
Lawn Size: 6000 ft2
Mower: rotary

Sod type

Post by canooten » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:34 am

Looking for sod suggestions.

I'm getting ready to sod my yard and due to budget constraints I'm doing this in a couple of phases. The side and portion of the back yard are being done first since there is some sloping and drainage issues to fix in that area.
The front yard will be done later this season once I've restocked the budget.

I'm in the south metro Atlanta area. The side/back area are sloped (basement lot) and have a good bit of shade. The lot was sodded with bermuda when the house was built and it stuck around for the most part until I had some trees removed in the back...the grass was destroyed due to that machine traffic and I've not been able to get anything but cold weather rye to grow due to the shade.

I've had 2 types of sod suggested - Tiftuf and Emerald. Both are attractive for different reasons. Tif due to price (I can get the entire job done faster) and Emerald as it seems to take a bit less upkeep (from what I understand).

I've got a time lapse of 2 problem areas....wondered if anyone would take a look and tell me if either type would be suggested. I know shade is a complicated thing, but one area does get some filtered sun, then full sun, before the full shade hits. The other is between the house and a row of tall cypress so it just gets full sun when it's directly overhead.

- this is the side. My thought is to do beds in all but about a 10' strip in the center of the area and sod that. I need something that will stand up to being driven on once in a blue moon if I need to load something heavy into or out of my basement (talking a very few times per year)

- the area of concern is where the grass is gone. I'll bring out some beds about 6' from the chain link fence and just try to cover the bare areas.

Any suggestions would be appreciated - besides cutting trees as all of the morning shade comes from trees on my neighbors lot. I can do some low limb work on the water oaks in back, but that's about it.

adgattoni
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 16000
Mower: Greensmaster Flex 21

Re: Sod type

Post by adgattoni » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:03 am

TifTuf has improved shade tolerance, but it's still bermuda. If those bare spots are due to lack of sun, there's no bermuda cultivar that will thrive there. I don't really know much about Zoysia to comment though.

canooten

Post by canooten » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:56 am

There used to be bermuda in the bare spots....not lush by any means, but there's enough sun for it to hold the ground together. Since the machinery tore it up I just haven't been able to get seed to take.

Durso81
Grass Type: Bermuda, st Augustine, Tall fe
Lawn Size: 3500
Mower: Rotary and reel

Post by Durso81 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:39 pm

I don't know much about zoysia but that it is a slow growing so may take longer to recover from damage. Where as Bermuda recovers quickly. If there is enough sun I would go with Bermuda tiftif.

jayhawk
Grass Type: zoysia; tifgrand beauty strip
Lawn Size: Yuuuge 2500
Mower: TruCut

Post by jayhawk » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:58 pm

You're right, shade is complicated. Means it has to drain well, grows , heals slower, ...disease pressure.

What prices are you seeing? I'd avoid the mega sod co in the SE (tn, ga, sc). Challenge is that direct from other farms they want a 3 pallet min. usually

Driving on infrequently is no big deal just that you risk ruts.

canooten

Post by canooten » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:42 pm

Drainage is not a big issue....the entire front, side and back area I'm looking to sod is slightly sloped so water runs off pretty quickly. Nothing stands or pools.

Prices are all over the place. TifTuf from $125-160. Emerald from $225-$300. Quantity is not a big deal....my initial install side and back will be 3-4 pallets and the front will be another 11 or 12.

TN Hawkeye
Grass Type: Fescmuda
Lawn Size: 10000
Mower: Toro Timemaster

Post by TN Hawkeye » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:50 pm

canooten wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:42 pm
Drainage is not a big issue....the entire front, side and back area I'm looking to sod is slightly sloped so water runs off pretty quickly. Nothing stands or pools.

Prices are all over the place. TifTuf from $125-160. Emerald from $225-$300. Quantity is not a big deal....my initial install side and back will be 3-4 pallets and the front will be another 11 or 12.
It’s really hard to tell from the videos as this isn’t prime Bermuda season. It really depends on how the sun is in a month from now for your area. If those areas get lots of sun from late May to late August you may be able to have a nice Bermuda lawn. You just may see slower greenup in the spring do to the shade.
I may not have the best lawn and I may not have a clue what I’m doing but that’s pretty much all I have to say.