Brackin4au’s Bermuda Bowl lawn journal

Warm season member lawn journals
Brackin4au
Posts: 572
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:11 pm
Location: Madison, AL
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 21k
Mower: JD 260SL

Re: Brackin4au’s Bermuda Bowl lawn journal

Post by Brackin4au » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:31 pm

So I’ve got it down to regulation height... 5/32” (0.156). Still got a lot of filling in left, but it’s getting there. I haven’t rolled a putt on it yet because it’s still pretty bumpy in the thin areas, and I don’t want to ruin the maiden voyage haha...


Image

Image

Brackin4au
Posts: 572
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:11 pm
Location: Madison, AL
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 21k
Mower: JD 260SL

Re: Brackin4au’s Bermuda Bowl lawn journal

Post by Brackin4au » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:41 am

So I cut grass front and back today... nothing unusual, didn’t notice anything in the yard.. then this evening I was out spraying some humic12/Air8 on the green, and noticed a couple small rocks. Then when walking back to the porch I noticed a couple more... ended up browsing the yard and found 2 handfuls of these...

Image

There’s a baseball field across the street that’s has a huge pile of gravel they are using, so I’ve decided that either the kids are hitting rocks into my yard to be jerks, or birds are picking them up and dropping them as they fly over the yard... either way, frustrating. I think I got them all up, but I hope it doesn’t continue. That’d ruin a reel very quickly....

User avatar
ctrav
TLF Supporter
Posts: 2706
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:39 pm
Location: Northlake, TX
Grass Type: Bermuda Tif 419
Lawn Size: 30K
Mower: Toro GM, Commercial, Recycler

Re: Brackin4au’s Bermuda Bowl lawn journal

Post by ctrav » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:50 am

Brackin4au wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:41 am
So I cut grass front and back today... nothing unusual, didn’t notice anything in the yard.. then this evening I was out spraying some humic12/Air8 on the green, and noticed a couple small rocks. Then when walking back to the porch I noticed a couple more... ended up browsing the yard and found 2 handfuls of these...

Image

There’s a baseball field across the street that’s has a huge pile of gravel they are using, so I’ve decided that either the kids are hitting rocks into my yard to be jerks, or birds are picking them up and dropping them as they fly over the yard... either way, frustrating. I think I got them all up, but I hope it doesn’t continue. That’d ruin a reel very quickly....
Well that’s just not nice...hard to believe it would be bids 🤔
MY JOURNAL

Much of your pain is self chosen!

Brackin4au
Posts: 572
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:11 pm
Location: Madison, AL
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 21k
Mower: JD 260SL

Re: Brackin4au’s Bermuda Bowl lawn journal

Post by Brackin4au » Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:53 pm

ctrav wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:50 am
Well that’s just not nice...hard to believe it would be bids 🤔
Yeah.. I started to call the school and talk to the baseball coach just so he would keep an eye on it, but figured if he mentioned it to them, they may just keep doing it out of spite. Plus, there’s a lot of folks that aren’t associated with the school that use the batting cage. So it could be them. Either way, I figure if I just let it go, they will get tired of it and it won’t be funny anymore.... I did plenty of stupid stuff like that when I was in school, so this could just be some payback for that ha

User avatar
ctrav
TLF Supporter
Posts: 2706
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:39 pm
Location: Northlake, TX
Grass Type: Bermuda Tif 419
Lawn Size: 30K
Mower: Toro GM, Commercial, Recycler

Re: Brackin4au’s Bermuda Bowl lawn journal

Post by ctrav » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:26 pm

Brackin4au wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:53 pm
ctrav wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:50 am
Well that’s just not nice...hard to believe it would be bids 🤔
Yeah.. I started to call the school and talk to the baseball coach just so he would keep an eye on it, but figured if he mentioned it to them, they may just keep doing it out of spite. Plus, there’s a lot of folks that aren’t associated with the school that use the batting cage. So it could be them. Either way, I figure if I just let it go, they will get tired of it and it won’t be funny anymore.... I did plenty of stupid stuff like that when I was in school, so this could just be some payback for that ha
I’m sure we all owe some sort of restitution for past deeds. Go easy on the young ones as society is not so forgiving as when we/I was young...
MY JOURNAL

Much of your pain is self chosen!

User avatar
Two9tene
TLF Supporter
Posts: 850
Joined: Sat May 26, 2018 7:52 pm
Location: Elgin, Oklahoma
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 4,516 sq ft
Mower: GreensMaster 1000 (Mdl. 04052)

Re: Brackin4au’s Bermuda Bowl lawn journal

Post by Two9tene » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:44 am

Man this project is ambitious! I wish I had the guts to try putting a putting green on the lawn. I suppose I would need another reel mower🤔
"One of the great challenges in life, is knowing enough to think you’re right, but not enough to know you’re wrong" - Neil Degrasse Tyson :roll:

Image

Brackin4au
Posts: 572
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:11 pm
Location: Madison, AL
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 21k
Mower: JD 260SL

Re: Brackin4au’s Bermuda Bowl lawn journal

Post by Brackin4au » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:20 pm

Two9tene wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:44 am
Man this project is ambitious! I wish I had the guts to try putting a putting green on the lawn. I suppose I would need another reel mower🤔
I’ll admit, changing cut heights between the green and rest of the yard has been very tedious, but it’s been a fun project overall. I’ve still got some thin spots that I started worrying wouldn’t fill in before dormancy, so I’m cutting at 0.3 now until it fills in all the way...

Brackin4au
Posts: 572
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:11 pm
Location: Madison, AL
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 21k
Mower: JD 260SL

Re: Brackin4au’s Bermuda Bowl lawn journal

Post by Brackin4au » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:29 pm

Happy birthday to me!

Image

Gotta get it mounted in the backyard. Pretty pumped!

Brackin4au
Posts: 572
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:11 pm
Location: Madison, AL
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 21k
Mower: JD 260SL

Re: Brackin4au’s Bermuda Bowl lawn journal

Post by Brackin4au » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:18 pm

Forgot to update but finally got my preemergent down couple days ago (10/15). Cut front yard first, backyard hadn’t grown much. Things seem to be slowing down big time. Also put 3lbs/M of Carbon X for my last fert application of the year. Green is the best looking area I have now, I guess the hand watering and spoon feeding of fert makes a big difference haha


Image

Image

Image

Almost fully filled in, finally. Cutting at 0.3” now, so not green height, but I’ll probably leave it at 0.3” until spring. Rest of the yard as you can tell in the pics looks like garbage. Oh well. I thought very seriously about over seeding with PRG this year. But I’m about ready for a break... maybe next fall.

Brackin4au
Posts: 572
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:11 pm
Location: Madison, AL
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 21k
Mower: JD 260SL

Re: Brackin4au’s Bermuda Bowl lawn journal

Post by Brackin4au » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:21 pm

Oh, forgot to mention an epic fail ha. @thompwa brought his Electra by my house and we cut my side yard since his new sod wasn’t ready yet... after he left I was going to cut the rest of my front yard, but forgot to check the HOC (which was set to my putting green 0.3”).... oops...

Image

Brackin4au
Posts: 572
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:11 pm
Location: Madison, AL
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 21k
Mower: JD 260SL

Re: Brackin4au’s Bermuda Bowl lawn journal

Post by Brackin4au » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:29 pm

So I’ve really hated trying to mow around my mailbox and the street light pole in my sidewalk strip... so I decided to make some changes. I dug up the turf at an angle that I could easily slide by with my greensmower, and not have to do a lot of back and forth. While I was there, I dug up the sprinkler heads, which were lazily placed next to the road side by the irrigation company doing the mass subdivision quick jobs. I moved those over to the sidewalk side, because my next step was to plant some tulip bulbs. I knew I’d I left the sprinkler heads on the road side of the bed, they would demolish the tulips when they bloomed (5000 series rotors). Shout out to @thompwa on a connector to lengthen my funny pipe to where I needed it to be...

Image

Image

Image

So after I got the heads fixed where I wanted, I backfilled the new beds with a guesstimated 50/50 mix of sand and soil conditioner mulch from my local nursery. Then I placed the bulbs, 25 in each bed... and covered with 3-4” of more soil conditioner. Turned out pretty nice I think...

Image

Image

Image

Also, an update on my backyard putting green.. it’s holding its color as hard as it can. I’m very surprised. I guess the low cut soaks in the heat from the sun. But it’s killing it still... (pic from 11/19 after a trim)

Image

Image

thompwa
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:35 pm
Location: Huntsville, AL
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 5000sq ft
Mower: Swardman Electra

Re: Brackin4au’s Bermuda Bowl lawn journal

Post by thompwa » Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:30 am

Now that you’ve moved one head, might as well move the rest to the right spots and put in R-VANS. Haha

Brackin4au
Posts: 572
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:11 pm
Location: Madison, AL
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 21k
Mower: JD 260SL

Re: Brackin4au’s Bermuda Bowl lawn journal

Post by Brackin4au » Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:02 pm

thompwa wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:30 am
Now that you’ve moved one head, might as well move the rest to the right spots and put in R-VANS. Haha
Haha. I like where your head’s at... but not seeing that happening anytime soon.

Brackin4au
Posts: 572
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:11 pm
Location: Madison, AL
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 21k
Mower: JD 260SL

Re: Brackin4au’s Bermuda Bowl lawn journal

Post by Brackin4au » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:06 pm

Got bored and noticed the putting green was a little shaggy looking. 59deg today so I figured what the heck. Went over it with a push broom first, then cut at 0.3”. Took off a decent amount of grass, and a lot of dormant tips. The green itself is still holding a lot of color even after the trim... interested to see if it holds all winter. Didn’t get a before pic, but here is after the trim...


Image

Image

adgattoni
Posts: 734
Joined: Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:21 pm
Location: 7B - Raleigh, NC
Grass Type: Tifway 419
Lawn Size: 16000
Mower: Greensmaster Flex 21

Re: Brackin4au’s Bermuda Bowl lawn journal

Post by adgattoni » Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:40 am

@Brackin4au how's the color on the green? Curious if some of the folks in the more southern zones could maintain a green-ish color year round by mowing that low.

Brackin4au
Posts: 572
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:11 pm
Location: Madison, AL
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 21k
Mower: JD 260SL

Re: Brackin4au’s Bermuda Bowl lawn journal

Post by Brackin4au » Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:10 pm

It’s pretty close to the same as the last pic. It’s a little shaggy looking bc I haven’t mowed it since then either. We’ve had a ton of rain, and I that corner of the yard is the farthest point from my gate, so I haven’t wanted to trample the dormant grass with my mower too much.

I’ve wondered the same thing, and if it ever dries back out a little, I plan to cut again. I’m gonna keep cutting as long as it’s green, but only when it looks shaggy. It’s still green and growing, but slowwww. So I’ll probably just trim it once every few weeks, as weather permits. It’s been mid to upper 60s here all this week, but it’s just so soggy that I can’t get back there very easily.

Steely
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:53 pm
Location: Sussex, WI
Grass Type: KBG and PRG
Lawn Size: 10,000
Mower: Toro TimeMaster

Re: Brackin4au’s Bermuda Bowl lawn journal

Post by Steely » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:06 am

@Brackin4au Very nice lawn you have. 👍 How does the JD perform on your slopes? Any slipping and sliding? How severe are your slopes in degrees?

I ask because I have some pretty steep hills on the sides of my house and I’m wondering how a greens mower would do on these. I have about 18 degrees in the worst spots. Been thinking a Mclane, Trucut, or Cal Trimmer might be better options for me because of the treads on the rear wheels.

Brackin4au
Posts: 572
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:11 pm
Location: Madison, AL
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 21k
Mower: JD 260SL

Re: Brackin4au’s Bermuda Bowl lawn journal

Post by Brackin4au » Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:11 pm

Steely wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:06 am
@Brackin4au Very nice lawn you have. 👍 How does the JD perform on your slopes? Any slipping and sliding? How severe are your slopes in degrees?

I ask because I have some pretty steep hills on the sides of my house and I’m wondering how a greens mower would do on these. I have about 18 degrees in the worst spots. Been thinking a Mclane, Trucut, or Cal Trimmer might be better options for me because of the treads on the rear wheels.
Sorry for the late reply, I’ve been out of town and not checking in as frequently as I normally do. Thanks for the compliment, it’s a lot of work, but I enjoy it. The JD handles the slopes much better than I anticipated. I was pretty worried about it honestly, but went for it and bought the JD at the weeks auction. I wondered about a homeowner model like you mentioned, for the same reason, the treads. But I’m glad I skipped those and went full greens mower. I’m not sure what my slope is in degrees, but I feel sure it’s more than 18 in some areas. The easiest way for me to mow the slope is on a diagonal, very little issue at all. I CAN go straight up and down, I just usually choose not to. The mower will get up the slope, but the challenge is keeping the front roller on the ground as you crest the slope. Feel free to ask any other questions. I’ll try to respond quicker haha.

Post Reply