Leveling Test Plot + Reel Mowing

Cool season grasses like Kentucky Bluegrass, Fescue & Rye
Wlodyd
Grass Type: PRG / KBG / Fescue Blend
Lawn Size: 7,000 sq ft
Mower: Toro Recycler

Leveling Test Plot + Reel Mowing

Post by Wlodyd » Fri May 17, 2019 7:20 pm

Ok, so I'm really interested in starting to reel mow... Before I make a big investment in a power reel mower I decided to do a little test plot on my side yard and see how my Northern Mix takes it and how I like it. I got a manual reel mower and reel cut at 2". I know I'll need to do a decent amount of leveling as well, for a small plot like this can I just use several bags of Mason's sand from a big box store like Quikrete stuff like this? Now looking to turn my lawn in concrete so figured I'd ask the stupid question. Also any tips on getting into reel mowing with NoMix would be helpful! Not looking to take it to 5/8" or anything, doubtful I could pull that off. But maybe like 1 1/2 - 2".

https://www.lowes.com/pd/QUIKRETE-50-lb ... nd/3594850

g-man
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 5678
Mower: John Deere 220E

Re: Leveling Test Plot + Reel Mowing

Post by g-man » Fri May 17, 2019 8:52 pm

That sand works. You want to drop some nitrogen before the sand and dont go too much (1/4in) sand. Do it only in periods of active grow. I've dropped 8 of those bags this year fixing a few spots.

For my nomix, I just mowed it and that was it. I mowed the neighbors too. The first time go in 2 direction to grab the stragglers.

Make sure your manual reel is cutting paper too otherwise they could cause damaged leaf tips.