Site Admin
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 5,000 ft²
Mower: Toro GM1000

DFW Sprayer Wand

Post by dfw_pilot » Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:14 pm

Build A Better Wand

Spraying Concepts

Spraying costly and powerful herbicides like Celsius, Tenacity and Certainty require precision. You don't want to harm your turf by using a tip that produces drips or puts out too much product, even when spot spraying. You've invested in your turf, take care of it.

Important: Start by watching these excellent videos on the important principles of spraying. It's a fantastic series that explains the steps to getting this right. It talks about the different tips available that make the difference between spraying 4 gallons over 5k or 10k. Don't like to refill so often? Watch the videos. Droplet size directly affects coverage, and that comes from selecting the proper tip for the job.

Once you know the proper concepts of spraying, get setup on the business end of your sprayer. This setup, with the nozzle body, will allow you to swap tips and caps, depending on what rate you want to spray. Eventually, you'll have a whole set of tips and swapping them out to spray something different each day of the week will be easy.

Read the TeeJet nozzle thread to get a good idea of how the different spray tips work.

Parts

Pick a TeeJet spraying tip and place it into a TeeJet cap. The cap will hold the tip in place. It is important to pick a cap that fits the tip you are buying.

The tip and cap will fit onto a nozzle body. The nozzle body will stay on the end of the wand and the tip and cap can be quickly removed and changed for different spraying projects. Buy as many tips as you have spraying needs and then just connect them to the nozzle body as needed. A strainer can be placed inside the nozzle body to prevent clogs.

The nozzle body can then connect to either a CF valve or the wand itself. I like using a constant flow valve to prevent drips after releasing the trigger. With high powered herbicides, drips can be deadly.

The nozzle body or CF valve screw into a brass wand. The wand needs a trigger, handle, and swivel barb to connect to your existing sprayer hose. Use pinch or screw clamps to keep the hose connection tight.

Putting It Together

Drop the tip into the cap, and the strainer into the nozzle body. Screw the cap into the nozzle body and connect the body to the CF valve. Screw the CF valve onto the wand and screw the wand onto the trigger. With Teflon tape, connect the trigger to the handle, and with more tape, connect the handle to the swivel barb. Clamp the barb to your hose and you're off to the races.

Again: Hose and Clamp->Swivel Barb->Thread Tape->Handle->Thread Tape->Trigger->Wand->CF Valve->Nozzle Body->Filter->Cap->Tip

Purchase Links:

SpraySmarter ~ $75

Sprayer Depot ~ $100

CF Valves ~ $15

Pictures

Here is a look at the finished project.

ImageImageImage

Enjoy your new wand,

dfw
Last edited by dfw_pilot on Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Updated Links
The Bermuda Triangle | Sprayer Wand | Invest for Retirement | PWS
- A clear conscience is a great pillow -

Ware
Site Admin
Lawn Size: 7,500 sq ft
Mower: Toro GM1600

dfw_wand

Post by Ware » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:25 pm

Here is a photo of my dfw_wand. I went with a little bit longer wand, but everything else is pretty much the same.

Once you have the wand figured out, be sure to check out the TeeJet Nozzle Discussion.

Last edited by Ware on Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Iriasj2009
Grass Type: Tifgrand Bermuda
Lawn Size: 2500 sqft
Mower: Toro gm1000

Re: Sprayer Wand

Post by Iriasj2009 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:44 am

My wand just made it in!! Just waiting on my CF valve. Looks sweet, thanks for all the links! Very helpful.

J_nick
Grass Type: Riviera Bermuda
Lawn Size: 1 acre
Mower: 220B

Post by J_nick » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:36 pm

Can the wand be put together without the CF valve? I'll be using it on my spraying rig and have other means to control pressure. Just wanted to make sure everything would screw together without it.

Ware
Site Admin

Post by Ware » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:51 pm

J_nick wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:36 pm
Can the wand be put together without the CF valve? I'll be using it on my spraying rig and have other means to control pressure. Just wanted to make sure everything would screw together without it.
Yes. Everything on that end has 11/16 TeeJet threads. So the female thread nozzle body would just be threaded onto the male wand threads.

Mightyquinn
Grass Type: Tifway 419 Bermuda
Lawn Size: 8,000 ft²
Mower: Baroness LM56(x2)

Post by Mightyquinn » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:32 am

I'm tempted to put one of these together but just haven't got around to it. I have upgraded my wands to the Solo wands they sell at Home Depot that except the Tee-Jet nozzles. I don't do a lot of spraying outside of the Franken-Spreader-Mate so it hasn't really become an issue for me.

J_nick

Post by J_nick » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:01 pm

Received my parts today, I can't wait to try it out! I went without the CF valve since I can set the pressure with my spray rig.

MarkV
Lawn Size: 3K
Mower: McLane

Post by MarkV » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:04 pm

Say I have a sprayer and I'm happy with it but would like some extra control / calibration. Would adding the tip, cap, nozzle body, and CF valve do that for me? Or do you need the whole wand shebang?

Are 11/16" standard threads for most sprayers?

What does the nozzle body do?
Please ignore the above post.
I am just trying to increase my post count.

Ware
Site Admin

Post by Ware » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:11 pm

MarkV wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:04 pm
Say I have a sprayer and I'm happy with it but would like some extra control / calibration. Would adding the tip, cap, nozzle body, and CF valve do that for me? Or do you need the whole wand shebang?

Are 11/16" standard threads for most sprayers?

What does the nozzle body do?
That would certainly work if all the threads are the same, but most TeeJet stuff is a proprietary "11/16 TeeJet thread".

The nozzle body allows you to use the "Quick TeeJet Caps" for quick nozzle changes.

The CF Valves are available in different thread options. The trick is figuring out what threads your sprayer mfg uses on their wand.
Last edited by Ware on Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bradesp

Post by bradesp » Fri May 19, 2017 1:30 pm

Can someone direct me to the parts I would need to construct a 4 nozzle boom? Or even better yet, is there a high quality metal boom with the TeeJet nozzles I could buy pre-built?

BTW, my application scenario if for applying PGR to Bermuda.

-b

Mightyquinn

Post by Mightyquinn » Sun May 21, 2017 7:31 am

bradesp wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 1:30 pm
Can someone direct me to the parts I would need to construct a 4 nozzle boom? Or even better yet, is there a high quality metal boom with the TeeJet nozzles I could buy pre-built?

BTW, my application scenario if for applying PGR to Bermuda.

-b
Is something like this Solo 4 Nozzle Sprayer Boom what you are looking for?

Bunnysarefat
Grass Type: TifTuf Bermuda & St. Augustine
Lawn Size: 12k
Mower: Toro S. Recyl & 5b McLane reel

Post by Bunnysarefat » Sat May 27, 2017 9:35 pm

Thanks, DFW Pilot. This is one of the most next-level lawncare threads I've ever seen. Great info linked all over the place here.
The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of grass struggles.

kolbasz
Grass Type: 50/50 Blue/rye mix
Lawn Size: 13k
Mower: John Deere je75

Re: dfw_wand

Post by kolbasz » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:05 pm

Ware wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:25 pm
Here is a photo of my dfw_wand. I went with a little bit longer wand, but everything else is pretty much the same.

Once you have the wand figured out, be sure to check out the TeeJet Nozzle Discussion.

what wand is this, looks way nicer than the OEM that comes with that stihl sprayer.

J_nick

Post by J_nick » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:39 pm

:fool: it's the wand this thread is about

kolbasz

Post by kolbasz » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:59 pm

J_nick wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:39 pm
:fool: it's the wand this thread is about
I stopped reading after the tips and looked at the pictures. I was distracted by the awesomeness and missed the text....

so what is the out the door cost of this thing? Like 100$ all in -ish?

Or, if my wand if working, i guess I could get away with the valve and tips for now...

I know we linked all online items, but is this source-able through other channels like tractor supply or amazon even?

Also, for the tips, they base things on PSI and speed. do we just assume the average person is going 3MPH? Just curious how we calculate our tips. I bought some at tractor supply and just figured they are OK, but there is obviously a bit more to it.

Ware
Site Admin

Post by Ware » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:08 pm

Yeah, about $100. Compare prices with places like spraysmarter.com.

Everyone's walking speed/setup is going to be a little different. I just use the charts as a guide, and then adjust as necessary.

kolbasz

Post by kolbasz » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:24 pm

These are the guys I use

Last edited by kolbasz on Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mightyquinn

Post by Mightyquinn » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:21 pm

kolbasz wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:24 pm
These are the guys I use

You got those at Tractor Supply didn't you :D

Lawndad
Grass Type: TTTF

Post by Lawndad » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:34 am

I was looking for an extension kit to add my existing Harbor Freight pump 4 gal. sprayer so that I can get a wider spraying swath. I saw this pic on the FB page. Maybe someone can tell me where to find it at because I'm having no luck. Thanks

J_nick

Post by J_nick » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:35 pm

Lawndad wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:34 am
I was looking for an extension kit to add my existing Harbor Freight pump 4 gal. sprayer so that I can get a wider spraying swath. I saw this pic on the FB page. Maybe someone can tell me where to find it at because I'm having no luck. Thanks

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=368