Topic Author
Lawndress
Grass Type: Tall+Fine Fescue/KBG mix
Lawn Size: .75 acre
Mower: 54" tractor + Ryobi elec 21"

Lawndress's Shady Nook 2021

Post by Lawndress »

Might as well put in my own.... To

I'm doing 100 percent of my own lawn for the first time this year. I've been more of a gardener only before.

I really want the front yard to shape up this year. The back is probably going to have some septic work soon, and I've finally finished making holes in the front for a new well pump, hydrant, etc.

From the front stoop:

This actually looks a ton better than last year, even though I didn't overseed.

A close up of the current sad state:

That's the worst of the main front yard. The side front yard is worse, though, because the shade is so deep.

This lawn desperately needs leveling. We've had all sorts of digging done out there, and it's left it's mark, along with all the removed trees over the years.
My lawn: viewtopic.php?t=27210
Charity lawn: viewtopic.php?t=27203

Experienced gardener. Just starting taking the lawn seriously. Level .5: Just trying to get density this year.

Topic Author
Lawndress

Re: Lawndress's Shady Nook 2021

Post by Lawndress »

And today I did the whole paved ditch/gutter that starts one neighbor over and ends one neighbor over. I'm the only one to bother to dig it out, usually. One neighbor is elderly, and the other is kinda having a difficult time right now.

My section just needed a little weeding.

You can see the elderly neighbor's on the charity lawn thread.

The far end was almost totally blocked, though.

Before:

After:

As I said, I'm mostly a gardener. My front bed, which is kinda between blooms:

Some of the driveway bed:

I need a new driveway, but that's not happening until remodeling is totally over.

Experienced gardener. Just starting taking the lawn seriously. Level .5: Just trying to get density this year.

Topic Author
Lawndress

Post by Lawndress »

Did work around the yard and mowed. Got the pots planted and a bunch of shrubs in the ground.

Topic Author
Lawndress

Post by Lawndress »

Mowed 2 days ago. Watered today. Threw down some fertilizer. Planted 4 shrubs. The tenacity seems to have hurt some of my grass...not sure what type.

Shrubs:

My kid's tomato:

Flowers that were pruned:

Lumalux
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 23,000 SF
Mower: Husqvarna

Post by Lumalux »

Very pretty yard.

johnklein25
Grass Type: TTTF and Zoysia
Lawn Size: 2,000 sq ft
Mower: Honda 21"

Post by johnklein25 »

Very nice photos - and best wishes for getting your lawn where you want it. This is for sure the best place on the web for Q&A without the sales pitch. I'm having good luck with SpeedZone herbicide so give that one a try if your find something Tenacity won't kill. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend a soil test. Getting your pH in the right zone ( between 6 to 7) is really important to make sure you're not wasting time and money on fertilizer. Fertilizers are not very effective if your pH is out of that range.

I likegetting soil tests from a local university extension office or https://www.spectrumanalytic.com/ I want accurate results accurate results without the sales pitch... I haven't used spetrum analytic but I don't think they push any name brand products. I used the University of MO this spring... no sales pitch, just the facts.

There are lots of people on the forum who can help interpret the soil test results if needed, however the soil test itself should come with some instructions on how to adjust pH if needed, and how much Phos or Potassium should be applied to optimize your soil for the lawn you want to grow.

Best of luck!
Honda HRX217VKA, Pro Plugger, Chameleon Hose End Sprayer, Husqvarna Pump Sprayer, Blank and Decker Grass Hog, Golden Retriever Soil Compactor/Turf Killer ;)

nnnnnate
Grass Type: KBG mix
Lawn Size: 3700 sqft
Mower: GM1000/Honda Rotary

Post by nnnnnate »

Do you have a background in gardening or has it just been a hobby that you've learned about over the years? I'm jealous of your space and the mature trees. I look forward to seeing more of your yard and the progress you make on the lawn.

kdxkid
Grass Type: unsure
Lawn Size: 1/4 acre
Mower: none

Post by kdxkid »

Ok - any idea what could be wrong. Yes - concur it looks super thin. I was really hoping to not need to cut it down but probably leaning that way now.

Topic Author
Lawndress

Post by Lawndress »

Lumalux wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:46 am
Very pretty yard.
Oh thanks! I'm a silly and haven't been checking this at all.

Topic Author
Lawndress

Post by Lawndress »

johnklein25 wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 6:27 am
Very nice photos - and best wishes for getting your lawn where you want it. This is for sure the best place on the web for Q&A without the sales pitch. I'm having good luck with SpeedZone herbicide so give that one a try if your find something Tenacity won't kill. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend a soil test. Getting your pH in the right zone ( between 6 to 7) is really important to make sure you're not wasting time and money on fertilizer. Fertilizers are not very effective if your pH is out of that range.

I likegetting soil tests from a local university extension office or https://www.spectrumanalytic.com/ I want accurate results accurate results without the sales pitch... I haven't used spetrum analytic but I don't think they push any name brand products. I used the University of MO this spring... no sales pitch, just the facts.

There are lots of people on the forum who can help interpret the soil test results if needed, however the soil test itself should come with some instructions on how to adjust pH if needed, and how much Phos or Potassium should be applied to optimize your soil for the lawn you want to grow.

Best of luck!
Thanks! I have done one app of Speedzone already this year and one app of some Bayer stuff I already had that had 3 of the 4 ingredients because I put it up in the wrong place. Lol.

Here is progress now....

I got a soil test a few years ago when I wasn't adding anything and hadn't been and my phosphorus was almost too high. So I avoid anything with it.

Other than that, my soil is super acidic. So a large part of my lawn's struggles has been due to not doing anything about that. Or adding iron, which it desperately needs. And having the menfolk do the lawn work because they hate it and do things that damage it badly quite often and won't mow often enough. And not watering it at all. And not fertilizing it more than once every few years....

I added the annual application of pH correcting stuff (Mag-i-cal) before doing anything else. :) You're right--dont want to throw that away!

Pics more like my originals:

Progress is pretty obvious even though I had to stop mid mow today because of the rain.

Topic Author
Lawndress

Post by Lawndress »

nnnnnate wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 1:18 pm
Do you have a background in gardening or has it just been a hobby that you've learned about over the years? I'm jealous of your space and the mature trees. I look forward to seeing more of your yard and the progress you make on the lawn.
Weeeell I knew about all the plants that grew in my native central Texas. Then I moved to the high country mountains and had to relearn everything. Then I moved to the Mid-Atlantic and I had to relearn everything again.

My method for learning about new plants and new places is to buy huge numbers of discount plants from the sad racks and just stick them in the ground. Literally nothing beats actually growing stuff!

Topic Author
Lawndress

Post by Lawndress »

And here was the second almost bald view 6 weeks ago or so....

This is the absolute worst area. You can see how much it has filled in since then.

Topic Author
Lawndress

Post by Lawndress »

And approximately the same area as the patchy bit at the top now looks like this:

Slow improvement. No dandelions anymore, btw. Just most of everything else still....

Topic Author
Lawndress

Post by Lawndress »

This is hilarious. Look at the line where the poa supina dominant lawn gives out to the fescues:

Alisonpv
Grass Type: Poa supina
Lawn Size: 4000 square feet
Mower: Green works electric mower

Post by Alisonpv »

Lawndress wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:00 pm
This is hilarious. Look at the line where the poa supina dominant lawn gives out to the fescues:
Hahaha! I love it :) go go supina!!!

Topic Author
Lawndress

Post by Lawndress »

Alisonpv wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:12 pm
Lawndress wrote:
Heat is coming...we will see how it goes when I baby it through the summer!

Alisonpv

Post by Alisonpv »

Lawndress wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:04 pm
Alisonpv wrote:
Lawndress wrote:
Texas has to be tough. How much/often do you water and fertilize? I’m still getting the hang of it.

Topic Author
Lawndress

Post by Lawndress »

Alisonpv wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:45 pm
Lawndress wrote:
Alisonpv wrote:

Texas has to be tough. How much/often do you water and fertilize? I’m still getting the hang of it.
Oh, I'm new Washington, DC now. lol.

Texas was super easy. Had St Augustinegrass and an irrigation system. That's basically cheating. I hand-weeded some obnoxious daisy-like weeds, but other than that, a bright green monostand only requires a bit of fertilizer.

These bunch grasses that take reseeding are like my worst nightmare. I feel like they are constantly trying to die on me! I will freely admit that this is one of the reasons I love the poa supina--anything with stolons or rhizomes is like my best friend in the world.

I've been spoon-feeding fertilizer, and I'm going to take a risk with the supina because it's really hungry and keep going through summer. I got 2#/M down in spring and I'll do another 2#/M in fall and will spoonfeed .5-1 over summer.

I water so that the yard gets a minimum of an inch per week. It's the only thing I use the Scott's lawn app for.

Alisonpv

Post by Alisonpv »

Lawndress wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:13 pm
Alisonpv wrote:
Lawndress wrote:

Texas was super easy. Had St Augustinegrass and an irrigation system. That's basically cheating. I hand-weeded some obnoxious daisy-like weeds, but other than that, a bright green monostand only requires a bit of fertilizer.

These bunch grasses that take reseeding are like my worst nightmare. I feel like they are constantly trying to die on me! I will freely admit that this is one of the reasons I love the poa supina--anything with stolons or rhizomes is like my best friend in the world.

I've been spoon-feeding fertilizer, and I'm going to take a risk with the supina because it's really hungry and keep going through summer. I got 2#/M down in spring and I'll do another 2#/M in fall and will spoonfeed .5-1 over summer.

I water so that the yard gets a minimum of an inch per week. It's the only thing I use the Scott's lawn app for.
Just double checking - 2 pounds per month?

Ok.. I’m on track for .75 every other week and I honestly wasn’t sure that was enough.

And yes the self repair, and shade tolerance is why I’m ADORING this grass. Love love.

Topic Author
Lawndress

Post by Lawndress »

Alisonpv wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:16 am
Lawndress wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:13 pm
Alisonpv wrote:

Just double checking - 2 pounds per month?

Ok.. I’m on track for .75 every other week and I honestly wasn’t sure that was enough.

And yes the self repair, and shade tolerance is why I’m ADORING this grass. Love love.
Nope, 6 pounds for the year is what U of Mich did! 2 pounds it really struggles. 4 is does well. 6 does better. I'm backing off to tiny spoon feeds over the summer, though.

DIY Lawn and Garden Products